PDA

View Full Version : Venom + Pro Tools 8 LE

walt
02-02-2011, 07:40 AM
I bought the Venom a week ago and wow do I love this thing. It's so easy to learn it's functions and it sounds killer.

I have Pro Tools 8 LE on my laptop. I can connect the Venom to my laptop and use Vyzex with no problems at all. I grabbed a few sounds from venomsynth and copied them over to my Venom. I can play sound files back through the Venom when connected, etc. Basically my laptop completely integrates with the Venom.

My problem is that Pro Tools 8 LE doesn't see it as an interface. The program fails at a can't find digidesign hardware ok/cancel box. I upgraded 8 LE to 8.0.4 and when it installed it said it found new drivers so I thought I had it solved but I get the same error box.

Does the Venom only work with Pro Tools M-Powered? No Venom driver support for Pro Tools 8 LE?

walt
02-02-2011, 08:16 AM
I have my own answer. It makes me sad....

About Pro Tools LE Software

* A qualified Avid Pro Tools LE hardware interface is required to use Pro Tools LE software
* The Pro Tools LE interface must be connected to your computer to use Pro Tools LE software
* Pro Tools LE supports the use of any single supported Pro Tools LE audio interface. Simultaneous use of multiple Pro Tools LE devices is not supported.
* Audio interfaces by M-Audio or any manufacturer other than Avid will not work with Pro Tools LE software

Teksonik
02-02-2011, 08:33 AM
So Pro Tools is still locked to it's hardware? I thought they did away with that. Does Pro Tools LE ship with Venom? Doesn't Venom qualify as a "A qualified Avid Pro Tools LE hardware interface" Anyway if nothing else you can download the unrestricted Reaper demo and you might like it better than Pro Tools.

walt
02-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Well, I am not positive. Chasing down these answers is more difficult than it should be. Through the online dealer I bought my Venom from I was assured it would work with Pro Tools LE. I am going to contact them for an explanation/apology so that either they might have an answer for me on how to get it to work or retract their statement so others aren't confounded by this.

I am going to keep trying with Pro Tools 8 LE. Also thank you very much, I will try Reaper.

At this point I am just angry because I own Pro Tools M-powered 7 which doesn't work with Venom and I own Pro Tools 8 LE which doesn't work with Venom. I find it hard to pay another $150+ for M-Powered 8 upgrade when I can't be sure that it will upgrade my 8 LE or if I need to pay the full price for M-Powered 8. This is unnecessarily confusing.

Venom SHOULD be shipped with at least a partially crippled version/Light version of M-Powered 8 software. Barring that, why not include a driver that allows Venom to be used with Pro Tools LE?

Teksonik
02-02-2011, 08:50 AM
I feel for you. Good luck I hope you find a solution.

walt
02-02-2011, 09:21 AM
I will post in here as soon as I find a definitive answer.

Just called the US tech support number and they are closed for another hour. Looks like just to get past the recorded message I need some sort of Support Code. Same goes for web-based tech support inquiries. Need a Support Code for that too.

Avid/M-Audio sure isn't making this easy for the consumer.

walt
02-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Ok, while waiting for phone support to open their doors at 9am PST, I am looking at other Pro Tools LE interfaces.

The $249 Mbox2 Micro is shipped with Pro Tools LE 8 included. The $295 Mbox Mini also includes LE 8 as do all the more expensive interfaces.

So now I am really wondering why the Venom doesn't ship with Pro-Tools M-Powered 8. They should at least offer a $599 version of the Venom that comes with the software bundled.

Jared
02-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Pro Tools LE does not support M-Audio or any 3rd party hardware. You can use Venom as an audio device with Pro Tools M-Powered 8, or Pro Tools 9. Pro Tools is sold separately.