PDA

View Full Version : Setting ARP to Local + Midi changes midi channel when ARP is off?

guyinabearsuit
03-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Picked up a Venom a couple days ago, just digging into it but I'm liking it so far, I think I've found a synth that is close to what I'm looking for. I started poking around experimenting with the Venom as a controller, as I have a hardware synth without a keyboard so the Venom pulling double duty would be really handy. The other synth is a six voice mono synth, set with a base channel of 1, spanning to channel six, one channel per voice. I have auto track channel set to 9 so if I send a message on channel 9, the currently active voice will be triggered.

-Venom is in single mode
-I set the Venom midi channel to 9. it controls the current active voice of the other synth. beauty.
-I set the ARP to Local + Midi. test it out, the Venom ARP pattern plays on the current active voice. awesome.
-I turn the ARP of the Venom off. I start to play. the other synth is triggering voice 4 while voice 1 is active. what? Turn ARP on. it triggers the current voice. Turn ARP off. it sends messages on midi channel 4, even though I confirm it's set to channel 9.
-switch the Venom to multi mode
-test with ARP on and off. it's broadcasting on channel 9 again. good, though I might not want to be in multi mode all the time. there seems to be some issue with notes not terminating depending on the bank selection on the Venom, but only when ARP is set to Local + Midi, may be due to the four voices & different oscillators all sending midi info? dunno.

so has anyone else run into this?

*summary: with ARP set to Local + midi, when in single mode, turning the ARP off changes the midi channel from what you have set. no problems with ARP set to Local + keyboard, aside from the ARP not sending through the midi out.

xps4000
03-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Picked up a Venom a couple days ago, just digging into it but I'm liking it so far, I think I've found a synth that is close to what I'm looking for. I started poking around experimenting with the Venom as a controller, as I have a hardware synth without a keyboard so the Venom pulling double duty would be really handy. The other synth is a six voice mono synth, set with a base channel of 1, spanning to channel six, one channel per voice. I have auto track channel set to 9 so if I send a message on channel 9, the currently active voice will be triggered.

-Venom is in single mode
-I set the Venom midi channel to 9. it controls the current active voice of the other synth. beauty.
-I set the ARP to Local + Midi. test it out, the Venom ARP pattern plays on the current active voice. awesome.
-I turn the ARP of the Venom off. I start to play. the other synth is triggering voice 4 while voice 1 is active. what? Turn ARP on. it triggers the current voice. Turn ARP off. it sends messages on midi channel 4, even though I confirm it's set to channel 9.
-switch the Venom to multi mode
-test with ARP on and off. it's broadcasting on channel 9 again. good, though I might not want to be in multi mode all the time. there seems to be some issue with notes not terminating depending on the bank selection on the Venom, but only when ARP is set to Local + Midi, may be due to the four voices & different oscillators all sending midi info? dunno.

so has anyone else run into this?

*summary: with ARP set to Local + midi, when in single mode, turning the ARP off changes the midi channel from what you have set. no problems with ARP set to Local + keyboard, aside from the ARP not sending through the midi out.

Hey guyinabearsuit :) ,

I found that if you are running this through Pro tools you will have to turn off local and arp to midi. The cool thing if you want to record the arp patterns you can turn the arp to midi back on ( you can then use the midi info to trigger vst's) but this could sound a little or distort the tru multi almost like a feedback.

guyinabearsuit
03-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. Didn't have my sig flagged in my original post, but I'm using the Venom as a controller for a hardware synth (along with using it as a standalone synth, of course). The hardware synth is an Elektron MonoMachine, which is a rad little monosynth, but it doesn't have a keyboard, just drum machine like buttons for the sequencer, which can be a little hampering at times. I'm a Cubase user and haven't even got as far as using the Venom with Cubase yet, still trying to get a handle of all the basic settings first, this is just a bug I came across while digging into the settings.

Tony from Psicraft/Vyzor actually saw my post over at Harmony Central today and has confirmed my findings so hopefully it gets to the right people and fixed in a future update of either the firmware or editor, whichever it ends up being. for now, I guess I'll have to stick to the Monomachine's built in arp, which is only a problem if I'm controlling it live (my plan was to actually use the Venom to write/sequence it, and just use the sequencer live).

Jared
03-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I've made a note to check this tomorrow when I'm in the office and have access to Venom and can make sure the issue gets logged if it hasn't been done already.

guyinabearsuit
03-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Jared, have you been able to test/confirm the issue?

Jared
03-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Tony has passed his findings along to the Product Manager to log the issue.