PDA

View Full Version : Midi Data - Multi Buttons

badseed
03-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Hey guys,

I got my Venom last week - really enjoying it so far!

Now, my intended use might differ to most - I'm going to be using it primarily as an integrated midi controller and keyboard, with the synth more of a 'bonus'.

I use Ableton, Reason & Mainstage - and I've got the venom working fine in all of them.

Now, obviously the knobs and buttons are mapped to specific MIDI CC's, and can't be altered (at least not at this point) - I'm fine with that. What I've been doing instead is setting up a few blank multi patches, and mapping the performance controls to the host programs.

However, I've noticed that the multi buttons don't send any MIDI data?

Is there any chance M-Audio could release a utility or alternatively will the paid Vyzor upgrade will allow editing of midi assignments?

Cheers and thanks

badseed

jetpacer
03-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Agreed. I too have noticed the Multi Control and Multi Part buttons do not transmit midi. Neither do the Arp On or Latch buttons.
I would really like to see this happen. Please.
Using the Venom in my Sequencer would be so much easier if I could record my playing and add mutes and arps to certain parts on the fly. Having to do this after the fact manually through my sequencer takes allot of time as well as lost inspiration and initial intent.
Its so much easier playing and recording in real-time.
My fingers are crossed on this one.

badseed
03-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Yeah, it's a real pity they don't send midi.

I understand that they wanted to keep costs low, and thus kept non-essential components to a minimum (so no user-definable buttons etc), but it all feels a bit 'locked down' to me at the moment.

I've ended up buying an Akai LPD8 midi controller to use in addition to the Venom - but i may end up getting a Novation Remote SL series keyboard. I don't really want to have to use 2 keyboards...but playing live I really need the flexibility of extra controls.

badseed

jetpacer
03-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Yeah. But at what cost savings when implementing software control for basic parameters that are almost always contained on board ?
I have read that the upcoming Vyzor Venom VST/AU plugin editor, at a charge of $19.95, will have many additional features.
I would hope they would at least address the limited midi data and control and the forgotten buttons midi transmitting.
By the way badseed, I have had many controllers over the past 20 years. By far my favorite is my Novation 61 SLMKII.
I use it to control my 8 other synths, 30+ VST's and now the Venom.
The Novation keybed + aftertouch are a must, as well as Automap. And tons of knobs and buttons, all easily programmable.