PDA

View Full Version : Venom Midi In - Stops receiving data

badseed
03-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Hi there,

Yesterday I hooked up a Roland Handsonic HPD-15 electronic handrum to my Venom, and we ran into an issue whereby the Venom would stop receiving data every 15 seconds or so, and then start again after a pause of around 10 seconds.

I then hooked up the midi in over to another interface (an Edirol) and it was working fine.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Is there something non-standard about the MIDI-In on the Venom?

Cheers

Jared
03-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Are you using the HPD to trigger Venom, or to send MIDI to the computer?

Can you send MIDI data out of the Edirol into the Venom to see if it also drops out?

I just tested sending MIDI data from a controller to Venom's MIDI input to the computer and did not experience any dropouts.

badseed
03-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi Jared,

Thanks for your reply.

The HPD15 was running into Battery 3 (we also tried Kontakt 4 and BFD2). I'll try it the other way tonight.

I've used a Roland digital piano via the Venom midi into Logic with no problems - so at this point I'm wondering if the Handsonic sends a non-standard message every now and then (typical of Roland...).

Cheers

Jared
03-17-2011, 03:52 PM
It does sound like there is something that the Roland is sending that doesn't agree with Venom. Test with MIDI Monitor (www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor) to see what data is actually being sent.

I tested with an older keyboard that sends Active Sensing messages as I've seen that cause problems with other devices, but it didn't interfere with my test on Venom.

Does your Roland piano have MIDI Thru? If so, try connecting the HPD15 to the Roland's In and connect the Thru to the Venom and see if you still get dropouts.

xps4000
04-16-2011, 01:30 AM
Hi, can you give us a little info on the studio setup. Sound card, midi interface, etc....
Thanx.