PDA

View Full Version : How Can I Use Oxygen 8v2 to Control Pro Tools M-Powered 7 Transport?

mercurysoto
07-27-2008, 02:34 AM
I have upgraded from a O2 Midi Controller to an Oxygen 8 v2. Definitely it was a good choice, since it feels sturdier built than O2. However, I bought the Oxygen 8 mainly because it has more buttons and knobs and I intended to use them to control Pro Tools.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do so. In Ableton Live and Sonar, assigning midi functions to these controls is a snap. In Pro Tools I just can't get them to work. Can you tech guys suggest a workaround? I am currently running PT M-Powered 7.4 cs5. By the way, this situation prevented me from buying an Evolution uc33 controller, but I still would like to have some more hands-on control on my PT till the day I can afford a Project Mix :)

Thanx in advance for your support.

Jared
07-28-2008, 09:39 AM
There is a Pro Tools Setup File for the Oxygen 8 v2 in the links/downloads (http://forums.m-audio.com/local_links.php?catid=17) area; there is also a link on that page to a guide that will show you how to load that preset to your device with Enigma. This setup will give you transport and volume control.

If you just want transport control you can use factory preset 9 as described in this FAQ (http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=7c238ba6d8503b58963c42850faa3ff3).

mercurysoto
08-01-2008, 06:32 PM
ok, I did as the tutorial suggested. Now I have configured my Oxygen 8 with the two presets to control volume tracks 1-8 and the transport from Enigma. Now Pro Tools won't recognize it! Oxygen 8 says the preset is a controller type CS-10, but when I try to enable it in PT (setup/peripherals/midi controllers) I get HUI or MotorMix as avalilable types. There's no CS-10 in my options. I'm running PT M-Powered 7.4cs5. What an I missing? Im a total newbie as regards midi controllers in PT. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jared
08-02-2008, 09:46 AM
In the text document included in the zip file you downloaded is a link to Digidesign's website where you can download the CS-10 legacy control surface file; make sure you download the one for 7.4. The text document also lists which folder on your hard drive to place the CS-10 file.

mercurysoto
08-03-2008, 01:17 AM
Hi JA, thanks for your support. You guys definitely rock at m-audio.

Ok, I got it to work. I've been testing the transport and volume control on the first 8 tracks. Im kind of sloppy at it yet, I hope I improve with practice. It feels I lose the settings when I restart PT and then I have to resend the banks to the device, and then I tweak and tweak and get it to work. I've never used a control surface and I guess I'll have to study it more.

Naive question, can I duplicate preset 1, say, to preset 2 and then reassign the volume knobs to work on tracks 9-16 and so on till I get volume control on the 48 tracks I can use?

Jared
08-04-2008, 08:19 AM
I have updated the setup file for the Oxygen 8 v2 & Pro Tools to give you bank left/right buttons to access additional groups of faders (1-8, 9-16, 17-24, etc). Preset 2 is identical to Preset 1 except the Record button banks right, and the Loop button banks left. The rest of the transport controls are the same. Download this new setup and give it a try.

You shouldn't have to resend anything; once you've uploaded the preset, it's there until you reset the keyboard or load different ones. This setup isn't perfect, and you generally have to move the knob past the point the control is on screen before it will "catch" and start controlling.

mercurysoto
08-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Hi dude, thanks again. Yes, your new setup does work. Wonderful. I wish I could control the solo, record, and mute functions.

I went to the retail store to get a UC-33e, but unfortunately they were sold out! I am thinking about getting an oxygen 49. It can perform those functions, right? I've been reading that Oxygen 49 and 61 have 35 midi controls. Are they the same midi controls for both keyboards? And what would I miss if went for an Oxygen 61 or 49 instead of the UC-33e? Would I compromise flexibility to handle Pro Tools 7?

One last thing about the UC-33, do you have to move the knobs past the point the control is on screen before it will "catch" and start controlling just as it happens with Oxygen 8?

Jared
08-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Yes, the Oxygen 49 & 61 have the same controllers, the only difference is the number of keys. Check out the text doc in the Oxygen 49/61 Pro Tool setup files; it explains how the buttons below the faders can control different functions such as mute, solo, record enable, and more. One of the other buttons modifies the function of those buttons; the down side is there is nothing to indicate which function they are currently controlling; you just press the modifier button to cycle through the different functions. The control surface setup using the CS-10 file works, it's better than nothing, but it doesn't work perfectly.

The UC-33e has more knobs, but IMO the button layout on the Oxygen is better suited for triggering stuff likes mutes/solo/record, etc.

brunorio
01-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Hello,

Ive seen similar problems being solved in this forum with slightly different configurations. However, the solution that Jared suggests consists in downloading a Legacy MIDI controller file from the previous Digidesign website and now I cant find it on the new Avid website.

Does anyone have an active link to this file or an alternative solution?

Thanks and regards,

Bruno

binibimmler
05-19-2011, 12:57 PM
hej there...
i am new to this, but thanks to you, i got to get my axiom49 to work with pro tools le 8!

sorry, to reopen such an old thread, but there are still some unknown users out there :)
btw, bruno, if u still need a link:

http://www.google.de/#sclient=psy&hl=de&safe=off&source=hp&q=download+legacy+midi+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=77418144def8a32e

:)

yeah, now to my problem:
everythings working fine..
but...
the bank-nudge, which is assigned to the first two pads, doesn't work just exactly, how i expected it to work :)
it just switches between the first 8 channels, and the last 8 channel...
so, if there are more than 16 tracks, theres a problem! :)
maybe some of you know an answer to this?