Fast Track Pro - Latency issue

Thread: Fast Track Pro - Latency issue

Default Fast Track Pro - Latency issue

Good day all.

Overview:
    I just purchased the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. This is my first stab at starting to set up a little home studio. I'm using the Ableton Live Lite software that came with the interface (at some point down the road I'll get something with a little more capabilities, but it's a starting point). It was kind of a pain to get the drivers up and going (but luckily I have a couple friends who know computers well, because I don't). I'm up and running now. I was very suprised how clear the sound came through when I plugged in my guitar and started recording. So I'm very happy with that.

Problem:
    The start of the issue came when I was playing and the sound was coming through the speakers a bit later. I resolved that pretty easily by just turning down the speakers and listening to my guitar instead. But then when I went to record the lead parts over the rythm, I obviously wasn't able to listen to the rythm track and record the lead in real time. From what I've read, this is called "latency" ?

Does anyone have any thoughts or recording tricks that might solve this issue? I'd really appreciate the help, I'm not a very computer savy person and very new to recording.

In the case this is necessary info, my laptop has the following stats... Windows XP Pro, SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo (1.8GHz), 3GB RAM

so you are trying to record over what you already recorded, but you want to hear previous recordings while dubbing over a new one, correct?
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro
    Windows 7 x64 | Intel Wolfdale E6300 Dual Core @ 3.0ghz | 4GB Ram
    Adobe Audition | FL STUDIO

Yes, I would like to listen to the track I already recorded, while recording a new track (for example; listen to a rythm part I already recorded while recording the lead part that goes over it).

Any thoughts?

Make sure you have the ASIO driver selecting in the Ableton Live audio preferences and try lowering the latency (buffer) setting in the Fast Track Pro control panel before opening Ableton Live.

Thanks Paul

I selected ASIO and then tried to select M-Audio USB ASIO and it said it failed to open audio device. Does this mean I don't have ASIO? Where would be the best place to find the ASIO driver if not?

Make sure you have the latest driver version installed.

Try setting your computer’s onboard sound card as the default audio device for Windows.

Paul, the link to the newest driver seemed to do the trick. I thought I had found the latest driver, but the name thru me off. I thought V32 was for Vista only. So the one I originally downloaded was from 2006.

Thanks again for the help. Now it's just a matter of tweaking everything to my liking and having fun with it. You're the man!

Best

I'm glad I could help.

Also I just wanted to throw just in case you still have some latency issues, the Fast Track Pro has a zero latency monitoring function. On the upper right hand side of the front of the Fast Track Pro you will see a knob that says "Mix". If you turn that knob to the left, it will make the Fast Track Pro take sound coming from the inputs and send them directly to the outputs bypassing the computer and resulting in zero latency. Turn that knob about halfway down and you will get a mix of both what comes from the computer and what is coming from your bass. I use this function every time I record vocals and it works great. Just make sure you turn off input monitoring in your recording program. The only downside to this is you wont hear any effects that you have on your bass/vocals in your recording program but you really don't need to.