Only records for a few seconds then stops.

Thread: Only records for a few seconds then stops.

Question Only records for a few seconds then stops.

I have tried using M-AUDIO ProFire 610 with 3 different recording programs but none of them work. In all 3 cases the sound signal does enter the computer because when I click on the m-audio profire control panel icon on the bottom right of the screen I can see the monitor bar moving up and down. This bar is the one furthest to the left, called analog in #1.

The 3 recording programs that I used are:

1. Sonar 3 producer edition (Cakewalk)
    2. Audacity 1.3 Beta (Unicode)
    3. Reaper v3.06

Sonar 3 and Audacity acted in the same way for the most part. They will record for a few second but then they will just stop recoding on their own. The few seconds that are recorded sound fine.
    I am sometimes able to get reaper to record for a few seconds too. In reaper I go into options/preferences/audio-devices. Then I set audio system to ASIO and I set ASIO driver to “M-Audio ProFire ASIO”. I did discover that if I set these audio device preferences and then really quickly hit: insert track, arm track, and record as fast as I can, reaper will record for a couple seconds before stopping (like sonar and audacity). I will then not be able to play the few seconds that I recorded or record another few seconds unless I reset the preferences. With the other 2 programs I can keep hitting record after the program automatically stops itself from recording.

All 3 of these recording programs do work if I use my cheap computer mic which runs through the sound card that came on my computer (Sigma Tel Audio is the name of the built in sound card I think). The cheap computer mic gets plugged into the little microphone outlet on the side of the computer.
    Also, increasing the buffer setting does not seem to help.

So my question is: where does the problem lie? And how do I fix it?
    Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
    System specs
    MacBook Pro laptop
    Mac OS X
    Processor : 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB of RAM
    firewire 800 port with a 400 to 800 adapter plugged in.

M-AUDIO device: profire 610
    Audio program : Logic express 9

Can you post a screenshot of your IRQ list?

Check out the Firewire Troubleshooting Guide for solutions to common firewire issues.

my IRQ list
    IRQ list.jpg
    System specs
    MacBook Pro laptop
    Mac OS X
    4 GB of RAM

The firewire controller shares an IRQ with your graphics controller. You will need to optimize your graphics for the best possible system performance and try turning down the hardware graphics acceleration.

this did not work. Even when I turned the hardware acceleration to its minimum level the audio programs would still cut out after a few seconds of recording. Any other suggestions?
    System specs
    MacBook Pro laptop
    Mac OS X
    4 GB of RAM

Try optimizing your computer for the best possible performance.

Try disabling all Bluetooth, wireless and network controllers on your computer. If you have a webcam and a multicard reader, try disabling them as well.

I have tried most of the suggestions on the “Windows XP Optimization Guide” page. I will list which ones I did and which I did not do below.

I am still unable to record but I have slightly different problems now. i think the new problem is due to the fact that I now play the sound back through the profire 610 as opposed to the built in sound card. In the past I would play the sound back through my built in sound card. It looks like the problem which I had when recording with the profire 610 carries over to the play-back functions of the profire as well. The problem is: I can only record for a few seconds with the profire 610 before it stops recording on its own. Likewise, I can only play the sound back through the profire 610 for a few seconds before it cuts out (stops playing).

When I play the sound back it sounds very choppy, like my computer cannot keep up with it. This choppiness quickly gets progressively worse until there is only silence. This choppiness is slightly different each time I play piece of audio back so it is not a property of the actual recording itself. This choppiness is the same if I try to play an mp3 in windows media player.

Sometimes when I try to record with audacity, I get an error message about latency.

So It will not record for more than a few seconds and it will not play for more than a few seconds.

Would this be latency? I didn’t think latency actually caused recording and playback drop out though. Does it?

Under “This is recommended to ensure smooth operation of your DAW” in the “Windows XP Optimization Guide” it recommends 2.0 Gigahertz of processor clock speed but I only have 1800 megahertz. Would this be the cause of the problem?

Things that I did and did not do on the “Windows XP Optimization Guide”
    -I did not buy a new computer or OS
    -I did not reformat my computer.
    -I already have all of the requirements under “Here's What You Need to Install and Use Windows XP Home/Professional” except I have 0.2 fewer MHz of processor clock speed and I don’t know the speed of my hard disk drive.
    -I did not buy mass storage device (I already have >100 GB free)
    -I already have NTFS file system

Under “System Performance Tweaks Stuff to Do After Installing” subtitle

-I did what it asked under “performance”
    -I did what it asked under “virtual memory”
    -I did what it asked under “power options”
    -My comp was already set to what it asked for under “DMA”
    -I did what it asked for under “on board devices”
    -In “virus protection and firewalls” I disabled the fire wire fire wall but not the windows firewall.
    -I did what it asked in “display properties”.
    -in “windows sounds” I did not turn off the windows sounds
    -I did what it asked under “write catching”
    -I did what it asked under “system restore”
    -under “startup services/appliocations” I did not do what it asked because there are some things I sort of want to start at start up like antivirus software. Should I do this anyway? Does it look like it may solve the problem?
    -I defragged
    -under “driver modes” I am asked to use ASIO. I know that at least one of my recording programs (reaper) uses ASIO and it has the same problems as the other 2 recording programs.
    -for “plug in resources” I don’t think I have any inserts or virtual instruments. When I check the load put on my CPU as it suggests in this section, I see that CPU usage is around 1% when recording and when not recording and PF usage is around 670 MB when recording and when not recording.
    - for the “saving and file management” section I did not buy another drive
    -I did nothing on the “archiving” section, I don’t think its relevant to my problem.

You mentioned that I should try disabling all Bluetooth, wireless and network controllers and If i have a webcam and a multicard reader, try disabling them as well.
    I do not have a webcam. I do not know if I have a multi card reader or a Bluetooth controller. How did I figure out if I have them and how do I disable them?
    I think I disabled my wireless and network controllers. I went into device manager and under network adapters I disabled “Broadcom 440x10/100 integrated controller” and “dell wireless 1395 WLAN mini-card”. (I kept the 1394 net adapter enabled). I re enabled them to get on the internet. Are these what you are talking about?
    System specs
    MacBook Pro laptop
    Mac OS X
    4 GB of RAM

update: i solved the problem by buying a computer which had a fire wire port built in
    System specs
    MacBook Pro laptop
    Mac OS X
    4 GB of RAM