Microphone does not work

Thread: Microphone does not work

Default Microphone does not work

Hi there,

I just bought a Profire 610 and want to use a MXL 990 condenser microphone with it. I also bought a 25-Ft. XLR-to-1/4" Microphone Cable from Radioshack.

I connect the microphone to Mic/Inst #2 jack in the front, turned the gain all the way, turned on the Phantom power, and turned on the volume as well. But no sound comes, neither from my Macbook Pro, nor if I use headphones.

I know my connections work because when I use my electric guitar, I can get a sound, both on the laptop and the headphones. I tried it with two other microphones but they didn't work either. I don't see a on/off switch on the mic. I also tried jack #1, but that didn't work either.

However, when I turn the volume up all the way, I can hear some hissing and it goes away when turn the volume down. The green LED turns on but there's no movement on the Pro Tools.

Anyone out there who can tell me what am I missing or doing wrong, in a plain English?

Thanks in advance.

You are using the wrong cable. You need a standard XLR-XLR mic cable. Power for the mic is sent from the 610 through the cable. The cable you are using does not have the correct connection for sending power to the mic.