How to setup M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Thread: How to setup M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Question How to setup M-Audio Fast Track Pro

So I recently bought myself an M-Audio Fast Track Pro but I need help and tips for how to set it up for the purpose I bought it for, which is to record my electric guitar and adding virtual effects and such.

Now, I got the drivers installed and working on Vista, and everything seems operational. My problem is how to set up the interface and what programs are good to use for effects, recording, producing, etc.

If possible, can anyone post a step by step guide on what programs to use, how to configure them, and how to start recording my guitar?

My current setup includes my guitar, plugged into the interface through a 1/4" cable, and then it is outputted through a 1/4" cable into my Fender Amp. Is it fine to use an amp to hear the effects and such? Since I cannot afford speakers.

Also, it seems that I cannot listen to music on the computer while M-Audio is powered on. How can I get around that? I'd like my computer music going through my computer speakers while the guitar going through my Fender Amp.

Many thanks in advance, and hope to hear an answer back soon.

-Grove
    <<< System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : Dell 0RY007
    > Chipset : Intel P31/P35
    > Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2333 MHz
    > Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
    > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    > Hard Disk : ST3500630AS (500 GB)
    > DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653B ATA Device
    > DVD-Rom Drive : SD3217U QDZ764V SCSI CdRom Device
    > Monitor Type : Dell Computer DellSP2008WFP - 20 inches
    > Network Card : Intel Corporation 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection
    > Network Card : Broadcom Corp BCM4309 802.11a/b/g
    > Network Card : Intel Corporation 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection
    > Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1
    > DirectX : Version 10.00
    > Windows Performance Index : 5.3
    Last edited by grove560; 08-29-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Included System Specs

While recording, use the speakers which you normally use to listen to music, if you cannot afford reference monitors. I don't think guitar -> sound card -> amp configuration is the best way to hear what you're recording.

I record my guitar partitions with Adobe Audition 1.5. It's very user-friendly and it doesn't use system sources excessively. You can of course consider higher versions, such as 3.0 etc.

I create my drum partitions with BFD (which would be hard to learn for a beginner) or EZ Drummer (very easy indeed) under FL Studio 6. BFD and EZ Drummer are VSTi's - you can Google it and learn more about VST.

Finally, I do mixing and mastering with Cubase SX3.

In fact, Cubase can do anything sound-related, but it's not practical for me to do everything with it (like recording).

Thank you for answering my questions. The only problem I see now, is how can I plug my speakers into my Fast Track Pro Soundcard?

You'll most probably need a 1/4" audio jack adapter to connect your speakers to the sound card:
    http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/produ...160377w345.jpg

Plug the adapter in your Fast Track Pro, then plug your speaker jack in the adapter. Make necessary knob-and-stuff adjustments and it should be fine. If it isn't, try with your MP3 player's headphones to make sure there isn't a hardware problem.