Plugged speakers into audio-out of an audio interface (M-Audio Firewire Solo)?

Thread: Plugged speakers into audio-out of an audio interface (M-Audio Firewire Solo)?

Default Plugged speakers into audio-out of an audio interface (M-Audio Firewire Solo)?

So I have a M-Audio Firewire Solo (audio interface) and it has an audio out for you to plug headphones into for monitoring. I set the audio interface as my main audio playback device (using it as a soundcard so to speak instead of using the built in soundcard). Normally, I would plug only headphones into it, and everything works fine. This time, I plugged speakers into the audio output, one of those speakers that are powered by a wall outlet. The sounds that were produced had a lot of static in it, and I thought my speakers were broken. Later, when I was playing around with it, I noticed that when I turned off the power on the speakers, they worked fine (my audio interface was powering it). This means my speakers work, but when I plug them into an iPod for example, the sound again is very static. My conclusion is that because I had the power on and it was plugged into my audio interface that also provided power, the amplifier in the speaker or something fried. That's not a problem, they were cheap speakers. The only thing is, now, whenever I do recordings using my audio interface, and I playback, sometimes it has static in it. Did plugging the speakers with power on into the audio-out ruin or destroy something in my audio interface that is causing this (like the amplifier in the audio out?), or should plugging in the speaker have no problem. Thanks a lot!
    I just don't want to spend another few hundred bucks buying another interface! but the static is very, very annoying!

If you plugged your powered speakers into the headphone output, it is possible that you damaged them (though this is unlikely because it is not a lot of power). You need to connect speakers to the line outputs on the back of the FW Solo.