AV40 - Right speaker not as loud as left

Thread: AV40 - Right speaker not as loud as left

Default AV40 - Right speaker not as loud as left

I recently purchased a new set of AV40's and the right speaker is noticeably softer then the left (the speaker with the volume knob). On top of that, when the speakers are turned down to a very low level which is comfortable for late night listening, only the left speaker has sound. I assume its because the amp is not putting out enough power to the right speaker?

Only when I turn the speakers up to an uncomfortablly loud level do they sound equal, but that just could be the left speaker over shadowing the right because they are only 3 1/2 feet apart. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Your not the only one. I went through a couple pairs of AV20s until I gave up shipping them back to the store and bought better monitors. They all had this exact problem and I'm surprised you are first to comment.

M-Audio will likely not help you out here as it seems to be a quality control issue they would rather not admit to and the technical support staff hardly go beyond basic troubleshooting. If it helps, they seem to have received a batch of faulty volume controls due the channels being balanced at full volume and degrading as it is turned down. There really isn't anything fancy to go wrong here besides that: AV 20 User Guide - pg 5

Good luck! I'd return them while you can.

Related post: http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread...at-AV20-defect

An update for my experience since there has not been any replies from the support staff here.

I requested a RMA from Dell and they shipped out a replacement. The difference between the two sets of speakers is night and day. All I can suggest for those stuck with a bad set of speakers that are not balanced properly at low levels is to turn down the volume on your computer allowing you to turn up the volume on your speakers beyond the normal level. This was a temporary fix, but does not solve the problem of the speakers being faulty.

As the other person suggested, I highly suggest buying them from a place with an easy return policy just to be safe.