Do I need an audio interface?

Thread: Do I need an audio interface?

Default Do I need an audio interface?

I will be buying cubase5 and would only be creating music using the virtual instruments contained within, no external recording. I was wondering if I would benefit from using an audio interface and/or an external sound card. If so, any recommendations? thanks.

Here are my specs:
    laptop: hp pavilion dv6700: amd turion x2 core2duo processor, conexant high definition smartaudio 221 integrated sound card, 4gb ram.
    Last edited by javor_gforce; 03-31-2010 at 04:01 PM.

well for cubase,im not too sure but i dont think you need a specific chain of interfaces. But im guessing your going to be recording from a MIDI source. Since your only Recording MIDI it doesnt really matter what you get as long as it has MIDI imputs. but what i would do is just go to Guitar Center and look at the Audio Interfaces in there,that will show you which ones are out and the Top Sellers and such.

Agreed, if you're only using MIDI, then you dont really need a low latency ASIO sound device. I would look into getting a decent MIDI interface though:http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...ryEdition.html

I personally dont use MIDI much, but something I'm going to start getting into more.

Joel

ya, i was looking at the midisport 2x2, but it doesn't have a headphoune out. As an alternative, I was looking at the fast track pro 4x4. I can find it for about 180. Is the price difference worth it? Would the sound quality be bad if I just listened straight out of my laptop?