BX5a Deluxe: Money Down the Drain

Thread: BX5a Deluxe: Money Down the Drain

Default BX5a Deluxe: Money Down the Drain (maybe not ...)

Right now, I am an unhappy customer. I purchased a pair of BX5a Deluxe monitors a little over a year ago. Like many, many other owners, one of them started buzzing a week ago. I took matters into my own hand and ordered replacement power capacitors. Unfortunately, I have a pretty lousy soldering iron and Neanderthal-like soldering skills. And those caps are mounted very securely — they're not only glued down, but their leads are bent over under solder.

To cut a long story short, I ended up mangling the circut board trying to get the old caps off. I broke a trace on the board, and even after I soldered an ugly bit of wire to span the break, the speaker would still not power on.

At this point, I hated the Avid/M-Audio family of companies for putting such lame caps in the speakers to begin with.

I was all set to say "screw it" and trash them for some KRK Rokits.

Instead I submitted a support ticket asking if I could just buy a replacment amplifier board. I got a response with the parts phone number. I called the number several times and got someone's voicemail. He identified himself by name, but didn't say whether he worked for M-Audio. I still have no idea if I dialed a valid number or not. Eventually I gave up calling that number and searched the forums here for an alternate number. I found one and called. This time, I managed to click through to an actual person.

I asked if I could purchase an amplifier board for the BX5a. He replied, "Oooo, I don't know if we have that one. Let me check the warehouse and I'll call you back in 30 minutes."

Never heard from back from him.

I'm not in a good mood right now.
    Last edited by jonheal; 06-29-2010 at 05:50 AM.

Okay, I'm in a better mood now. The Avid/M-Audio parts guy, Glen, called me back. As of yesterday, replacement amp assemblies for the BX5a Deluxe were in stock so I ordered one. $51.00 plus FedEx ground shipping. At that price, I dare say they're selling them at close to cost. I was tempted to order two since I don't have a lot of confidence my other monitor will last.

Hopefully, they've found a different supplier for the big bulging capacitors.

The replacement amp arrived. It consists of the entire backplate assemply -- basically everything except the speaker drivers and the cabinet. One additional snafu: I couldn;t unplug the blue LED from the old circuit board as it was permanently attached with errant glue. I ended up yanking the entire plug assembly off the board. Then I had to gouge the LED itself out of the cabinet as it was really glued in, too.

I screwed everything back together and now I'm back in business (until the other monitor craps out).

Here's a very interesting Wikipedia article concerning bulging capacitors ("capacitor plague"):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Hi Jonheal or admin people,

I have just the other day had one of my speaks start smoking and think a complete replacement backplate assembly could be really useful. How do I order one?

The big gold bit with the code BDT-57501 is over heating. Am not overly technical when it comes to fixing speakers, but I will give it a go if I can save these beauties

Thanks