M-audio Profire 610

Thread: M-audio Profire 610

Default M-audio Profire 610

Hello,
    I Just connected my new Profire 610. First tests are impressive
    But i had 2 questions:

- I use my Profire with my Macbook Pro. Manual says i can't use the power supply if connected to a 6pins FW-port, but I would prefer not using my Laptop's battery all the time. What can I do?

- Also, I leave my MBP laptop in sleep mode alsmost always when not in use. Since the manual says to power up the Profire first, then the computer, could i just power up the Profire, and let my computer wake up by that action? But then again, I can't power it off after i set my MBP in sleep mode, after i'm ready with work, because it would fire up then straight away... Hmm, difficult one...

Thanks

Maks

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

1. That looks like an error in the manual. It says to not use the ProFire's power supply, it is not referring to the laptop's power supply. Plug your laptop in with the power supply. It is actually recommended to use the ProFire's power supply as well.

2. I would recommend powering off the 610 before putting the computer to sleep, and wait until the computer is awake before powering it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    1. That looks like an error in the manual. It says to not use the ProFire's power supply, it is not referring to the laptop's power supply. Plug your laptop in with the power supply. It is actually recommended to use the ProFire's power supply as well.
    Yes, i ment the Profire's powersupply. I'd like to use it, to spare my laptop's battery.

From the manual:

5. Connect ProFire 610 to an available FireWire port on your computer.

Note: Do not connect the power supply to ProFire 610. Macintosh FireWire ports provide sufficient power to operate ProFire 610.

6. Turn on ProFire 610 first, then turn on your computer.

And:

Additional Information about PC FireWire Ports

Computer FireWire interfaces commonly use either of the following two connectors:
    • 4-pin: Use the included M-Audio power supply if you connect to a 4-pin FireWire
    port on your computer. Devices connected to a 4-pin FireWire port cannot be
    powered through the FireWire bus.
    • 6-pin: Do NOT use the included M-Audio power supply if you
    connect to a 6-pin FireWire port on your computer. 6-pin to 6-pin
    FireWire connections generally provide the power needed to
    operate ProFire 610. However, 6-pin FireWire ports on
    PCMCIA/CardBus expansion cards do not supply sufficient
    power, unless the expansion card is connected to its own
    dedicated power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    2. I would recommend powering off the 610 before putting the computer to sleep, and wait until the computer is awake before powering it on.
    Oh, so, that won't do any harm then? I thought that was doing the same as hotplugging...
    And because of the manual suggesting to put on the Profire first, then the computer...

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

While the 610 can work on bus power, for the best performance the power adapter is recommended. The information about not using the AC adapter was incorrectly copied from other FireWire device manuals; double powering older M-Audio FireWire devices is not recommended.

Sleep mode is not supported; however, powering the device as I suggest should allow the 610 to reconnect after waking from sleep.

Hotplugging involves physically connecting/disconnecting the cable. It is not recommended because if the cable connector fails or is pulled out at an angle, the power pins can cross where they're not supposed to and fry your FireWire port or device. This is an issue with FireWire in general and not exclusive to M-Audio devices.

Ok, thanks a lot, Jared!