MobilePre (2nd Gen) driver installation failure on Windows 7 64-bit (Home Premium)

Thread: MobilePre (2nd Gen) driver installation failure on Windows 7 64-bit (Home Premium)

Question MobilePre (2nd Gen) driver installation failure on Windows 7 64-bit (Home Premium)

Hi all,
    (I've made a tech support request and haven't heard back yet. If I do, I'll post the answer/results/hopefully success.) I've scoured this site and the web for this specific problem to no avail, so I hope I can help someone else once we get this sorted out.

I picked up a new MobilePre yesterday (the gray/black 2nd generation.) NOT the MobilePre USB, which is different and has different drivers. Something that is a bit frustrating is that the knowledge base doesn't yet have an entry for this device--there is only info for the older MobilePre USB. Not sure who to contact regarding that oversight, maybe someone will see it here.

Configuration: Dell laptop, 4 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    UAC is turned off and I disabled my antivirus for troubleshooting.

The "Install M-Audio MobilePre 1_0_4.exe" program, run as administrator, comes up with the error "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." I'm fairly certain this is because the first thing the installer does is try to install the 32-bit MSVC 2005 Redistributables. (This is a set of DLL's that developers send out with applications written with microsoft visual c++, with support for certain microsoft libraries.) This is obviously not good on a 64-bit operating system, and thus the "policies" error message shows up preventing it.
    I can't determine any easy way to force the M-Audio installer to instead skip over installation of the MSVC libraries, because it sounds like there are actually 64-bit Windows 7 drivers inside the installer! (I'm thinking if I could uncompress the .exe somehow, and manually finding the device .inf and supporting files..)
    I'm confused why I'd be the first person to be reporting this (as far as I can find) but perhaps someone has figured out a workaround.

Since I couldn't install the correct drivers, I just tried plugging in the device. Windows7 installs it as a Generic USB Audio device, which is not useful. The bundled Pro Tools SE will not recognize this device (Unable to locate Avid hardware.)

Thanks for any help/insight. I'll keep you posted if I get a response or figure out a workaround.

OK, my idea to unpack the installer was successful!
    I'd just upload the 64-bit MSI file somewhere, but I don't know if that's cool with M-Audio, so instead, here are the exact steps I took:

1. Your first goal is to get the 64-bit .MSI (microsoft installer) out of the installer.exe, which is an archive with various files inside it. Copy the "Install M-Audio MobilePre 1_0_4.exe" file to a directory on your PC (these steps won't exactly work if you try to do it on the CD.)

2. I found a free app called "Universal Extractor" which was able to unpack it, I used version 1.6.1. (looks like the website is http://legroom.net/software/uniextract , thanks to the author!) Download and install it, default settings. Looks legit, non-spyware etc. Be careful where you download it from, though. There might be other ways to get this file out! (or they could just publish the dang .msi!)

3. Right-click on the "Install M-Audio MobilePre 1_0_4.exe" file, and select "UniExtract to Subdir." This will create a subdirectory and then ask you what to do to unpack it. Choose "NOT AN INSTALLSHIELD INSTALLER"

4. The files are unpacked into:
    (wherever your path is)\Install M-Audio MobilePre1_0_4\.rsrc\MSI\
    Navigate to this directory!

5. Notice there are two files here: MSI32 and MSI64. Rename MSI64 to MSI64.msi.

6. Right click, run as administrator.

7. Rejoice! It will install correctly.

8. Plug in your MobilePre (2nd Gen) and notice there's an entry in the control panel for it now.

9. The bundled Pro Tools SE now will see it and work correctly. You will go to the (optional) product registration screen.

I hope this helps the next person that comes across this issue. It'd be a very easy fix for M-Audio, hopefully their testing team will see this and get it resolved.

Still waiting to hear what M-Audio's response is, though...

I solved this (multiple steps) but my resolution post is pending moderator approval?

OK, here is the fix! (Pending approval of my first post (because I had a link in it) :

Pertains to: Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, probably works on the other variations. (I assume the 32-bit version just works as it's supposed to.)

Restating the problem I had: The "Install M-Audio MobilePre 1_0_4.exe" program, run as administrator, comes up with the error "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." I'm fairly certain this is because the first thing the installer does is try to install the 32-bit MSVC 2005 Redistributables. (This is a set of DLL's that developers send out with applications written with microsoft visual c++, with support for certain microsoft libraries.) This is obviously not good on a 64-bit operating system, and thus the "policies" error message shows up preventing it.

The goal here is to get the 64 bit MSI (microsoft installer) out of the file "Install M-Audio MobilePre 1_0_4.exe." I did this with an application I found on the web, but there may be other ways. I would just post a link to the file but I don't think M-Audio would be too keen on that.

Do these steps with the MobilePre unplugged (it's how I did it.) At this point, I had installed the default drivers that Microsoft auto-installed when I plugged in the device, but I didn't have to uninstall them to get this to work.

NOTE: this is NOT for the older MobilePre USB! This is for the newer, black and gray MobilePre that comes bundled with ProTools SE.

1) I used a program called Universal Extractor version 1.6.1. Google it, (the legitimate developer's site is legroom dot net.) Download, install with defaults.

2) Copy "Install M-Audio MobilePre 1_0_4.exe" to a directory on your hard drive.

3) Right click on "Install M-Audio MobilePre 1_0_4.exe" and select "UniExtract to Subdir"

4) The program will scan the file and prompt you for extract method. Choose Not an InstallShield installer

5) A subdirectory called "Install M-Audio MobilePre 1_0_4" will appear. Navigate to ...\Install M-Audio MobilePre 1_0_4\.rsrc\MSI (here you will see two files: MSI32 and MSI64. Jackpot!)

6) Rename the file MSI64 to MSI64.msi (this would probably work with the MSI32 file also)

7) Right click MSI64.msi and "Run as administrator" (this is the file you want, you might want to save it for later use)

8) The software will install the driver successfully. An "M-Audio MobilePre" entry will appear under Control Panel->Hardware and Sound

9) Plug in your hardware, and skip "search windows update" if you need to, it'll just work as advertised now.

10) You can uninstall the Universal Extractor if you want now.

11) Pro Tools SE will now work and take you to the optional product registration wizard.

Not sure why or how M-Audio hasn't noticed the "Install M-Audio MobilePre 1_0_4.exe" doesn't run on 64-bit Win7 (maybe it has something to do with Home Premium.) Anyway, one can only hope their testing team sees this and fixes it. A lot of effort probably went into the driver itself, only to be bungled by the installer executable.

Most of all, good luck, I hope this helps the next person that has the problem I did.

I haven't heard anything from M-Audio regarding my tech support request yet, but I'm curious as to what their solution is.
    Last edited by coinbird; 11-10-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: more info

Thought of something else that might be required:
    BEFORE you run the MSI64.msi, install the visual C++ 2005 x64 redistributable.
    Google "visual studio 2005 redist x64" and grab it from Microsoft's website. Be sure to get the 64-bit version.

--
    Looks like my first post re: fix went through (thanks mods)
    Both posts are basically equivalent, second one has a little more detail.
    Last edited by coinbird; 11-10-2010 at 02:50 PM.