How to Connect DMP3 to Presonus Firebox?

Thread: How to Connect DMP3 to Presonus Firebox?

Default How to Connect DMP3 to Presonus Firebox?

Hey guys,
    I just purchased a DMP3 and a Presonus Firebox and am not quite sure how to connect them. Someone in another forum suggested going from the output of channel A or B on the DMP3 to one of the line inputs on the Firebox, however, this hasn't worked for me.

I'm getting signal from the mic and am able to record with the Firebox into my Powermac G5, but I'm not seeing any signs of life (other than the power light being on) from the DMP3.

Any suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

Does the meter on the DMP3 respond to mic input?

Can you plug headphones into the DMP3 outputs to check for signal?

You want to connect the DMP3's outputs to separate line inputs on the Firebox.

Jared,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I want to answer your questions correctly, so let me start my explaining how I have everything set up:

- Presonus Firebox is connected via Firewire to Powermac G5
    - M-Audio DMP3 is connected to Presonus Firebox using 1/4" TRS cable from Channel A only of DMP3 to Line Input of Firebox

To answer your questions:

1. The Channel A meter on the DMP3 has not moved.
    2. I haven't tried the head phones test, and will let you know how that works.

A quick question for you:
    I assumed that I could use either Channel A or Channel B and not both at the same time, which is why I only used a 1/4" TRS cable from Channel A of the DMP3 to the Line Input of the Firebox. Is this correct or both channels have to be used at the same time in order for the DMP3 to work properly?

Thanks for your help!

If you're not getting a response on the DMP3, start there. Does the mic and cable work when connected directly to the FireBox?

If it's a condenser mic, make sure phantom power is on.

Also test Channel B.

The channels are independent, you do not have to use both.

Jared,
    The DMP3 powers on, it's just that the meters don't move and it doesn't have any audible affect on recordings. To answer your question:

Yes, the mic and cable work and I can record when connected directly to the Firebox.

I tried Channel A and B with no response. I've tried several cables as well with no response from the DMP3.

Jared,
    I think I may be getting somewhere ... I plugged my mic directly into the xlr input of Channel A of the DMP3 and the meter started moving!

My remaining issue is that once the mic is plugged into the Firebox, the meter on the DMP3 stops moving even though I'm getting sound from the mic. I have a 1/4" TRS cable going from the Output of Channel A of the DMP3 to one of the line inputs of the Firebox (I've tried both line inputs).

Also, I'm using a condenser mic that requires phantom power, so I have the phantom power button pushed on both the DMP3 and the Firebox.

I've tried several cables with no luck. Any other thoughts on what this might be? Other than a user error. =)

If you're going to use the DMP3 as the preamp, you have to connect the mic to the XLR input on the DMP3. Make sure phantom power is off when connecting/disconnecting the mic/cable. You do not need to turn phantom power on for the Firebox since the mic is connected to the DMP3.

When the mic is connected to the Firebox, you're completely bypassing the DMP3.

Jared,
    Thanks for helping me with this. It's all new to me and I appreciate your help. Now that I have the DMP3 receiving signal, how do I get the signal into the Firebox and then into the computer so it records and comes out of my speakers that are connected to my G5 computer? This all works fine when I connect directly into the Firebox, but adding the DMP3 into the mix is confusing me.

Again ... thank you so much for all of your help!
    Last edited by pwhite078; 04-02-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Connect the output of the DMP3 to a line input input on the Firebox, like Line in 3 on the back. In your recording software, make sure In 3 is selected for your track and you should be able to record. Use the gain knob on the DMP3 to adjust the levels.

When recording to the computer, you want your average levels to be around -18dB, don't try to get it as close to 0 as possible. By having the average level at -18, you will have enough headroom so that peaks in the level do not clip, and it also allows headroom for processing (EQ/Compression/ETC) which can add gain, as well as when you mix and sum all your tracks together (the overall levels combine to make your output louder than just 1 track playing).