(very) simple 4-channel playback software - suggestions?

Thread: (very) simple 4-channel playback software - suggestions?

Default (very) simple 4-channel playback software - suggestions?

I work in a public museum and am trying to use an old Dell computer to play 4 channels of audio in an exhibit.
    I installed a Delta 44 and want to play back a four-channel piece - each channel is different and will be routed to a speaker in a different area of the exhibit.
    I have the audio data all ready to use but I don't have a playback program that will work with the Delta 44 and send each distinct, mono signal to the chosen output.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a simple playback program?

The computer is an old Dell with: Athlon II X3 425 - 786 MHz / 3GB RAM

Thanks,
    - Larry LaMalfa / www.nevillepublicmuseum.org

I know Foobar2000 is capable of outputting multiple channels, but I am not sure if can 'see' multiple devices at once.

Let me see, this stuff is free, so give it a go.

Assuming you are on a Windows OS.
    Download Foobar2000 www.foobar200.org
    Download ASIO output component: www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio
    Install the ASIO component by copying the .dll file into your C:/Windows/Program Files/Foobar2000/Components/ folder.

Now, if you open Foobar2000 preferences, go to Playback>Output>ASIO

Add "new custom channel mapping", under the custom section:

Driver: M-Audio Delta ASIO
    You should have a series of channels,
    2X Analogue Out 1/2 Delta-44
    2X Analogue Out 3/4 Delta-44

These will be left/right analogue outputs for each output pair. You can set them as Left front, Right front, Left rear and Right rear, and that will mean you have 4 independent configured channels.

You'll then be able to play 4 channels out, and things shouldn't crash on themselves.

Let me know how you get on, this kinda worked form me, but I only have 2X analogue and 2X digital outs on the AP2496 I'm using.
    ____THIS IS A LEGACY FORUM____
    so, no one really watches this forum anymore
    The new forum can be found here: http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio

My System: Windows XP SP3 + Windows 7 Pro 64 / Intel E6750 @ 3.2 GHz OC / ASUS P5Ke-WiFi / M-Audio AP2496 (XP 5.10.0.5074) (Win7 6.0.8)

Help Documents - (as used to be in a sticky)
    http://tinyurl.com/SignalFlowDiagrams
    Hosted on my ugly, work-in-progress, site

Is this 4 separate wav fiiles?

You could try Reaper..due its flexibility it can be intimidating, but setting up what you want shouldn't be hard.
    Last edited by Chester Desmond; 04-12-2012 at 10:58 AM.

I just installed Reaper, not really known of it before you mentioned it. Blimey, it's nice. It's doing stuff my old Cubase DAW couldn't, and that's routing.

You'll maybe need to split the multi-channel track out to 4 separate or at least two separate stereo tracks for reaper to handle, as it looks like the M-Audio delta devices are all in stereo pairs, and Reaper sees these devices like any other bit of software.
    Foobar2000 accesses the ASIO driver and can route to each individual channel and assign it independently, with one multi-channel file being played.

Absolutely no problems here routing one stereo track to my analogue outs, and a second stereo track to the spdif, and not routing the master bus anywhere, that's with the AP2496. For you, they will be all analogue outs, and no problem at all.

I'm not sure of the system resource consumption of reaper though. I suppose you could install a cut down version, no plugins and bloat, just the DAW and ASIO drivers.

Reaper looks great, and took me about 30 seconds to set up multi channel output, and I've never used it before!

So, although Foobar2000 will be lower on resources and look simpler from the onset (though config may be a bit awkward), Reaper looks more complicated, but isn't, and is insanely easy to do what you wanted, just not sure of the resource consumption.

Give them a go, and see what you can do.
    Last edited by 16bit; 04-12-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Make sure you check out the routing matrix, it makes it a breeze to assign inputs etc! Reaper does treat all the ins\outs as stereo pairs but I think it is getting that from the card itself..you can easily rename each one if you like. You can even set the preferences to use odd pairings like 2/3, 4/5 etc although I haven't had a need for that yet. As far as resources go, Reaper is one of the least demanding DAWs available, you can even install and run it from a USB thumb drive!

Using Reaper to do this might be a good option. Each track can be set up to output to a different channel, however, you're going to run into a serious problem with the Delta 44 in this regard.

Outputs 1/2 are also the Monitor outputs. I do believe that in the control panel, you can leave the output of channels 1/2 to only be channels 1/2, and let reaper load the Wav files, and loop them, sending each to a different room without problems.

Since you're managing playback and not recording, I'm fairly certain you wont run into any of the weird static recording issues with this setup. The AMD x3 setup should have plenty of power on tap, and shouldn't give you any problems with this.

Setting up Reaper for this would be a fairly easy task, even for someone who's never used it before. The licensing cost is also on the money, being so cheap and giving a lot of flexibility. Given the trial period that Reaper has, I would strongly suggest giving this a try.
    Core 2 Quad Q9400-Scythe Ninja Rev A|MSI Neo P45|WD 150GB Raptor|WD 250gb SATA-I|8GB G-Skill DDR2|WD Blue 640GB SATA-II|Logitech KB|Apple Mighty Mouse|ATI HD4850 512MB-Accelero S1|M-Audio 2x Delta 1010|Delta 66 Omni I/O|Corsair 400W|Cooler Master Elite 330
    Dual Boot: Ubuntu 10.04 x64 Lucid/Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Adobe Audition Mac & PC, Logic Pro, Ardour, PT 9, Reaper x86 & x64, Ableton Live Lite
    2x Delta 1010, 2x Delta 66, AP2496, FW Solo, Pulsar II, ProFire 2626, Fast Track C400

Thanks Mr. Desmond - I am going to try using Reaper. The majority likes it and I hope it will treat me right!

- Larry LaMalfa

Reaper seems to be the favorite so I will try it out. I appreciate all the support!

- Larry LaMalfa