Need help with BX5 D2 connections

Thread: Need help with BX5 D2 connections

Default Need help with BX5 D2 connections

I have a receiver which has three outputs in the "PreOut" category. They are all RCA jacks. One is labeled "Center Amp" and the others are Left and Right "Rear Amp". Could I connect the BX5 D2 monitors to the left and right rear amp out jacks? Could I connect a sub woofer to the Center Amp out jack and then the monitors to the Sub?
    Thanks,
    Tomas

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

You'll really need to refer to the receiver's user guide. You can try connecting the speakers to the pre-outputs. I'm not sure if they're labeled rear amp because they are for rear surround speakers.

If your sub has line level outputs for powered speakers like the BX5 D2's that may work. Do not connect the BX5 D2's to powered outputs as that will damage them.

Jared,
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I do not have a manual for the receiver, nor can I find one online. I am attaching a photo of the jacks in question. I don't have a sub yet, as I was wanting to clarify what are the options. Can I use the output (headphone) jack of a laptop...is that powered?
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    You'll really need to refer to the receiver's user guide. You can try connecting the speakers to the pre-outputs. I'm not sure if they're labeled rear amp because they are for rear surround speakers.

If your sub has line level outputs for powered speakers like the BX5 D2's that may work. Do not connect the BX5 D2's to powered outputs as that will damage them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

You can use the headphone out of your laptop, that's not a powered output.

You can try the pre-outs, depending on how the receiver routes signal, it may or may not work, but won't hurt to try. The speaker outs to the right would be powered, do not connect those to the BX5's.

The connection on subs may vary. The SBX10 has line level inputs and outputs. With this sub you would connect your computer's output to the sub, and the speakers to the outputs on the sub. The SBX10 has a built-in crossover so that the sub frequencies aren't set to the connected speakers.

Consumer/home theater type subs generally only have powered outputs for passive speakers. With these subs you would need to split the output from your computer in order to connect the speakers and sub.

Yeah, I am planning to buy the SBX10. Many thanks for your suggestions!
    Tom