Under the Hood

Thread: Under the Hood

Default Under the Hood

Ok so there's my sly Alan Moore reference in my topic title. Can anyone tell me where it's from?

So I'm trying to set up my Novation Remote zero controller to the Venom in an attempt to make edit control possible on the parameters that are hidden in Venom, the ones we can only edit with the Vyzex editor. You see I hate using the mouse I want real hands on control and have the changes I make be reflected in the Vyzex editor. I've been having some trouble setting this up and I'll be continuing to work on it but in the meantime I want to ask if this is possible? The Venom manual has all the CC numbers for all the interior controls of Venom so it must be.
    When you turn a performance controller on Venom you see the actual numerical change on the Venom display and also the editor reflects that. So far using a midi cable from the controller to the Venom midi in I'm not getting this activity in the Venom window. If I use the mouse to make an edit on say Osc1 coarse I see no activity in the Venom window. So is it only the performance controls that are able to do this?
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66Ghz. 9GB RAM
    Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Pro Tools LE 8.0.5
    Ableton Live 8.3
    M-Audio Radium 61 controller
    M-Audio Midisport 8x8
    M-Audio Venom

Jeesch it would be great to get some sort of response from M-audio or anyone. In trying to figure this out I've tried both midi out ports on the Remote Zero to the Venom.....nothing happening. Then I thought that maybe there's a way for midi control to happen through USB since both can send and receive midi that way but don't quite see how this can be set up. A little help would be nice.
    Ableton Live 8.3
    M-Audio Midisport 8x8
    M-Audio Venom

Then I tried another experiment. I ran a midi cable from my M-audio Radium 61 to the Venom, turned local off and set the midi out to "Key" on the venom and I could play the Venom from the Radium. Yhe Vyzex software keys responded to my playing and I started tweaking knobs on the Radium and I could hear the changes in sound but could not see the editors' knobs turning. I checked every page as I did this but didn't see anything happening. Then I tried doing a mouse edit in Vyzex but no change in sound so I'm guessing is that even though the keyboard and mod/pitch wheels respond the rest of Vyzex doesn't while set up this way?
    Ableton Live 8.3
    M-Audio Midisport 8x8
    M-Audio Venom

Did the same with the Remote Zero and with Local off and Key on I can tweak Venom. The problem here is that I don't know what I'm tweaking as Venom doesn't tell me and neither does the editor....so it seems that there's no midi through to the Venom.

Do I need to run a midi cable out from Venom to my interface to get that to work?
    Ableton Live 8.3
    M-Audio Midisport 8x8
    M-Audio Venom

Ran a midi cable from Venom midi out to midisport interface but Vyzex Venom knobs don't respond to any changes, So the question remains why? Why does the editor keyboard and mod/pitch wheels follow what I'm doing but the rest of the editor doesn't?
    Ableton Live 8.3
    M-Audio Midisport 8x8
    M-Audio Venom