Can I run balanced output cables to my monitors buzz free from a 192?

Thread: Can I run balanced output cables to my monitors buzz free from a 192?

Default Can I run balanced output cables to my monitors buzz free from a 192?

I am running a 2496 on a 2500K/P8P67LE/W7 setup. Since the card only has RCA outputs, I have no choice but to use unbalanced cables direct to my monitors. However, I am getting terrible buzzing. We did tests and found the buzz stopped when balanced cables were run from a Saffire 6 direct to my monitors. However, I feel the sound quality is inferior compared with the M-Audio PCI cards and I would rather upgrade to a 192 if that solves the problem. However, I am aware of the PCI/Sandybridge issues which could be the issue here. Can anyone help advise on the best way forward? Thanks

MJ

What monitors are you using? Can they actually accept an unbalanced signal?

I have some Fostex PM0.5, and they accept unbalanced 1/4" TS or balanced XLR. I actually have unbalanced RCA-RCA interconnect cable and terminate with RCA to XLR adaptors. It cuts the gain down a little, because it's not balanced, but I get no buzzing with this set up. Nor did I get buzzing when using RCA-1/4" TS interconnects.

How are your cables terminated at the monitor end? What does the monitor accept, XLR or 1/4" TRS?
    ____THIS IS A LEGACY FORUM____
    so, no one really watches this forum anymore
    The new forum can be found here: http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio

My System: Windows XP SP3 + Windows 7 Pro 64 / Intel E6750 @ 3.2 GHz OC / ASUS P5Ke-WiFi / M-Audio AP2496 (XP 5.10.0.5074) (Win7 6.0.8)

Help Documents - (as used to be in a sticky)
    http://tinyurl.com/SignalFlowDiagrams
    Hosted on my ugly, work-in-progress, site

Hi 16bit

I am using AE22 monitors which have the same input combo as your Fostex monitors. TS unbalanced/XLR balanced. Someone else with the same setup with an i7 2600K had the same problems and routed his output signal into his mixing board and out through the stereo master via XLR cables to his monitor. He did not use an adaptor and there is not an XLR out on his mixer so not sure if he rewired the XLR or used a 1/4" balanced to XLR balanced. Will see how I get on. This does appear to be a PCI soundcard issue.

Well, it looks like you know what you are doing hookup wise, so I doubt there's an earthing issue causing buzzing. I was hinting at that, but I think were probably clear in that regard.

The RCA-XLR adaptors I am using (Neutrik NA2MPMF) are arranged like this: "Wired according to IEC 268-12: pin 2 = signal, pin 1 and 3: connected to ground". No buzzing here.

Do you have any other speakers to shove onto the 192 just to see if it is the card? Something like a 2XRCA to female 3.5mm and then stick on some cheaper desktop PCs speakers. That should tell you if it's in your cabling, or it's actually the card/PCI/interface hardware.

Yeah, its probably something tough to cure. Sorry, I'm out of ideas if someone else had a similar problem and was unable to solve it.