Vyzex: Side by side?

Thread: Vyzex: Side by side?

Default Vyzex: Side by side?

Here's a question: Can the Vyzex editor run at the same time as a DAW like Pro Tools or Ableton?
    Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66Ghz. 9GB RAM
    Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Pro Tools LE 8.0.5
    Ableton Live 8.3
    M-Audio Radium 61 controller
    M-Audio Midisport 8x8
    M-Audio Venom

Sure can. Vyzex Venom Editor is a standalone editor for a hardware synthesizer. Thus you should treat Venom as a hardware synthesizer. Vyzor Venom Editor on thee other hand although standalone will include a VST/AU instantiated interface when Vyzor is released.
    Aaron Mulqueen

Have you tried this? Because I did...and somehow lost all midi communication between PT and Venom. I quit out of both and went back into PT(without the editor) and ...NOthing....no midi.....at all. I had to re-install the driver to get it back. So you're telling me that a DAW and the editor can both get midi to and from Venom at the same time? I think it's gonna be a LONG time before an RTAS plugin will be released. I don't like the slowness of what Psicraft is doing.
    Ableton Live 8.3
    M-Audio Midisport 8x8
    M-Audio Venom

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Gothboy View Post
    Have you tried this? Because I did...and somehow lost all midi communication between PT and Venom. I quit out of both and went back into PT(without the editor) and ...NOthing....no midi.....at all. I had to re-install the driver to get it back. So you're telling me that a DAW and the editor can both get midi to and from Venom at the same time? I think it's gonna be a LONG time before an RTAS plugin will be released. I don't like the slowness of what Psicraft is doing.
    I don't have Pro-Tools but my experiences with using the Venom, Vyzex Venom, Reaper DAW and Ableton Live are as follows:

1) the Venom USB Audio component has never worked properly. Both midi data flow and audio signal cut in and out every few seconds. I have the latest drivers and upping the latency on the DAW doesn't change anything.
    2) using the Venom as a midi controller works fine but getting midi to the synth from Ableton has not happened yet... I have not tried particularly hard for this yet but it is clearly not as easy as plugging the iPad in which worked instantly.
    3) the Vyzex Venom software has a habit of not finding midi OR something is turning off the USB Midi mode. Once it has had the USB Midi error and loaded up that PDF showing how to reset the Venom to USB Midi the Vyzex software will no longer load until I do a reset. It just freezes at the "now loading resources and configuiring ports" screen.
    4) I have never had the Vyzex software and Ableton run at the same time. I tried once - loaded Vyzex up first then Ableton... Vyzex stopped sending midi to the venom but midi to Ableton worked fine.

the tl;dr version = "no". I'm not apoplectic as I bought it for stand-alone use. Which is another reason why I've been working on the Lemur app.
    I notice you list Snow Leopard 10.6.8 as your OS, which is what I have as well. Wonder if there is something not working there?

chrs
    Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Gothboy View Post
    Have you tried this? So you're telling me that a DAW and the editor can both get midi to and from Venom at the same time?
    On Windows 7 SP1 running Pro Tools 10 without Venom as the Playback Engine, Venom will run side by side with Vyzex Venom Editor open (USB MIDI). This also works with Ableton Live 8.3. If this is not happening for you, can you post a step by step instruction to reproduce the issue, please include driver versions, firmware versions, what DAW application and version and OS?
    Aaron Mulqueen

I decided to just unplung everything and start again. I went to the install instructions located above this forum and did a proper install using one of the Macs' native ports(Yes I was using a hub. hey it mostly worked!) and ran Vyzex again. The editor worked properly and stpped with that annoying port scan thing it was always doing before. Now I have to do some more bit of work to see if I can get the editor to work side by side with PT.

All my system info is in my signature as it's always been.

Thanks so far with all the help guys! Appreciate it.
    Last edited by Gothboy; 04-15-2012 at 06:45 AM.
    Ableton Live 8.3
    M-Audio Midisport 8x8
    M-Audio Venom

By "native ports" I presume you just mean not using a hub. I've got a hub but only use it for keyboard + mouse. Always plug venom into usb2.0 ports - audio still doesn't work. Vyzex is still sporadic. On my old MacBook Pro vyzex works more consistently but audio doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by secretkillerofnames View Post
    By "native ports" I presume you just mean not using a hub. I've got a hub but only use it for keyboard + mouse.
    Yeah into the one of 3 ports on my MacPro. I have a powered hub and a non-powered hub. I might try it in the powered hub before plopping down upwards of $59.99 for a PCIe USB card.

Quote Originally Posted by secretkillerofnames View Post
    audio still doesn't work. Vyzex is still sporadic. On my old MacBook Pro vyzex works more consistently but audio doesn't.
    Really? Have you tried using the external instrument effect in Ableton using the Venom as an Interface? Or, do you have another interface?

Also you should put your system info in your board signature.
    Ableton Live 8.3
    M-Audio Midisport 8x8
    M-Audio Venom

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

With Pro Tools, make sure you launch Vyzex before launching Pro Tools. If you do it the other way around Vyzex can freeze.

Jared,
    Thanks so much for that little tip! Editor working nicely now with PT and I got pretty excited right away working with Venom. Though it's a little awkward having to boot Vyzex before every PT session when I'm not even sure if I'll use Venom it forces me to learn what it can do.

Keep up the good work!
    Ableton Live 8.3
    M-Audio Midisport 8x8
    M-Audio Venom