Is my delta 1010 dying?

Thread: Is my delta 1010 dying?

Default Is my delta 1010 dying?

Hi - I have an ~10 year old delta 1010pci. For the past couple of years, it's occasionally caused recorded tracks to have static embedded in line or mic tracks. Usually the problem could be at least temporarily fixed by switching between asio and wdm drivers. Lately the problem has been becoming more frequent. I figure the unit is just dying. The 1010 has always been fairly hot to touch when in use and I have it mounted w/ air/space above and below the unit. Now the only thing that will restore the unit to functionality is powering it off and letting it cool down. Is my unit dying in your opinion? Any chance this ISN'T the case? Any chance it's something else?

Thanks much,

Ian

Without physical access to your 1010 box, it's hard to say. It could be as simple as a capacitor problem, which can be fixed with little problems, or it could be some more serious issue going on.

I will confirm that the 1010 rack units do get very warm to the touch, I have two on my desk, and despite my looking to replace them over the next few months, I have done a lot of work to keep them up and running (as well as having a spare rack unit just in case).

It's possible you have a dust buildup problem, which could be causing some problems for you. Narrowing down exactly what your issue is without having the unit in front of me is a difficult task at best. If you have a soft, wide/large paintbrush, I would suggest opening the box up, and giving it a good cleaning. Canned air would also be effective in cleaning as well, and having it open would give you an idea of the condition the capacitors are in.

My only other questions are about your computer itself, what are the basic specs of that, the software you're running, and in a worst-case scenario, if it came down to replacing the 1010, what would you look to replace it with?

My 1010's are running with a Delta 66 unit right now, and I have an amazing array of compatibility at my disposal, but I know the units are getting very old, so it's always good to have some forethought into your next plan of action.
    Core 2 Quad Q9400-Scythe Ninja Rev A|MSI Neo P45|WD 150GB Raptor|WD 250gb SATA-I|8GB G-Skill DDR2|WD Blue 640GB SATA-II|Logitech KB|Apple Mighty Mouse|ATI HD4850 512MB-Accelero S1|M-Audio 2x Delta 1010|Delta 66 Omni I/O|Corsair 400W|Cooler Master Elite 330
    Dual Boot: Ubuntu 10.04 x64 Lucid/Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Adobe Audition Mac & PC, Logic Pro, Ardour, PT 9, Reaper x86 & x64, Ableton Live Lite
    2x Delta 1010, 2x Delta 66, AP2496, FW Solo, Pulsar II, ProFire 2626, Fast Track C400

Thanks bonestonne,

After I posted, I saw there was a new driver. So I installed that and haven't had a crash yet. I seriously doubt it's a driver issue and will de-dust next time the problem happens.

Just out of curiosity, what interface are you going to replace your 1010s with?

Peace,

Ian

Currently I'm very torn about what to replace my 1010's with.

I have a ProFire 2626 that I could move to, and moving to that would only mean I would need to find a good pair of ADAT adapters.

This is also appealing because I'm thinking I'll move to mini ITX type computer, and a single Firewire unit would make that very easy to do. Having the same amount of crunching power while reducing the amount of space it takes up, and actual wattage it uses would be a great thing for me.

Aside from that, the only alternative I've found for myself would be the ESI ESP1010e, but to keep the capabilities of my current system I would need to purchase at least two, and that would be a difficult thing to do for me, they're hard to find in my area as my search as proved lately.
    Core 2 Quad Q9400-Scythe Ninja Rev A|MSI Neo P45|WD 150GB Raptor|WD 250gb SATA-I|8GB G-Skill DDR2|WD Blue 640GB SATA-II|Logitech KB|Apple Mighty Mouse|ATI HD4850 512MB-Accelero S1|M-Audio 2x Delta 1010|Delta 66 Omni I/O|Corsair 400W|Cooler Master Elite 330
    Dual Boot: Ubuntu 10.04 x64 Lucid/Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Adobe Audition Mac & PC, Logic Pro, Ardour, PT 9, Reaper x86 & x64, Ableton Live Lite
    2x Delta 1010, 2x Delta 66, AP2496, FW Solo, Pulsar II, ProFire 2626, Fast Track C400

Thanks bonestonne.

Very curious... since installing the new driver, I haven't had a crash. Before that, the 1010 was crashing 2-3 times per session.

Which makes me ask why it took so long?

Anyway, thanks.

Peace,

Ian