Axiom 25 (2nd gen) pitch and mod wheels - midi issue with digital piano

Thread: Axiom 25 (2nd gen) pitch and mod wheels - midi issue with digital piano

Default Axiom 25 (2nd gen) pitch and mod wheels - midi issue with digital piano

Hello all,

I have a brand new axiom 25 (2nd gen) linked to my computer with USB and i'm using ableton live (30day trial). I linked to the axiom a digital piano Yamaha P-85 using midi : P-85 midi out linked to axiom midi in > axiom USB > laptop

I use directlink. Here are the ports used for input in live:
    P-85 : Axiom 25 EXT Midi in
    Axiom keys: Axiom 25 midi in
    Axiom pads: Axiom 25 directlink in

I get the both piano and controller to work. keys, knobs and pads work fine on the axiom.

Everything works fine until i use either pitch or mod wheels just after pressing keys on the yamaha P-85. pitch or mod will do their job but the P-85 won't work after that for 2 to 10 seconds. In that interval, ableton shows no midi information when i press the keys on the P-85 but otherwise axiom works, i can keep on playing with its pads or keys. Other issue at the same time, the P-85 sound modified by the pitch or mod will keep on until i press the stop button in ableton (panic command on the axiom doesn't work on this issue.

i hope anyone can help.
    thanks,

bye
    stepho

controller M-Audio Axiom 25(2nd Gen), digital piano yamaha P-85
    Lenovo Y550 (laptop)
    > Mainboard : LENOVO KIWB1 > Chipset : Intel PM45
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo SL9600 @ 2133MHz / 4096MB/ Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition SP1 (64-bit)/DirectX 11.00/ Hard Disk Western Digital WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0 ATA Device (320GB)/Realtek High Definition Audio Drive

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

If you test with MIDI Monitor, does the same thing happen?

Hello Jared,

Thanks for the answer in such a short time. On windows 7, i most probably have to use something like midi-ox. I tried but not really sure on the way it works and which virtual devices i have to use to reproduce the same links i have made with the yamaha. what would be the best way to do this? do i have to link the P-85 when testing with midi-ox?
    stepho

Lenovo Y550 (laptop)
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo SL9600 @ 2133MHz / 4096MB/ Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition SP1 (64-bit)/DirectX 11.00/ Hard Disk Western Digital WD3200BEVT-22ZCT0 ATA Device (320GB)/Realtek High Definition Audio Drive

Enable MIDI inputs 1 and 3 and output 1 in MIDI-OX and see if the pitchbend still interferes with the ability of the Yamaha to input MIDI.

Otherwise, in Live, remove the Axiom (2nd gen) from the control surface section at the top of the MIDI preferences, then test and see if the same thing happens. I wonder if DirectLink is interfering or if there is something else going on.

hello,

i tried both things. it keeps with the same problem. i checked both input and output monitors on midi ox when using the P-85 and after using pitch wheel no info comes from the P-85 for as long as the effect lasts. If i keep pressing on the keys of the P-85 no midi info is shown on the monitor. i have to stop for seconds and then midi info comes back. i tried also using knobs and the single fader just after pressing keys of the P-85 and they also cause the same problem.
    here is an image of the input monitor just after pressing keys on the P-85 and using pitch. After pitch i pressed again several times on the keys again and nothing appeared on the monitor.
    midi ox sound.jpg

Pads and keys on the axiom and a sustain pedal linked to the axiom work fine when used at the same time as the p-85.
    stepho

Lenovo Y550 (laptop)

Hello,

Jared have you an idea about what could cause this?

I'll try next week a midi to usb cable to connect the piano to the laptop directy instead of going through the axiom

anyone else experiencing this problem?
    stepho

Lenovo Y550 (laptop)

I haven't heard of this before. I'll see if we can setup a test internally to see if we experience similar behavior.

I was able to connect a keyboard to an Axiom (2nd gen) and did not experience any problems receiving input from the external keyboard after using the pitch/mod wheels on the Axiom.

Do you have the Axiom's MIDI out connected to the Yamaha? If so, disconnect it and see if the problem still exists.