Studiophile AV40 MkII dead within year

Thread: Studiophile AV40 MkII dead within year

Default Studiophile AV40 MkII dead within year

I bought the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 (the newer "mark II" version without the bass boost switch) from Amazon back in early September 2011. Within a few months I started to notice at times when playing music and games that the left speaker started to cut out at random and hiss/pop/lose sound a little bit before going back to normal. At the time it was annoying but thought nothing of it.

Until a week ago when listening to music, all the sudden the left speaker 'died out'. There's barely sound coming from the left speaker but it's coming out perfectly from the right speaker still. My guess the left speaker blown out since I tried listening to the left speaker only and it's bad - also tried on other PCs, same deal.

So here it is April 2012 with one of my $150 speakers more or less dead now. What to do? I'm aware of the warranty but I'm assuming it's some kind of hassle to get any service/repairs/replacement. And yes, I did already fill out the warranty for the speakers already but looking at the information presented it seems the process of trying to get service/repairs/replacement is pretty confusing as there's no clear way of doing so. Am I stuck with these dead speakers that are now useless to me?

Meh.
    Last edited by Meower; 04-17-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

Contact Tech Support and they can set you up with a return authorization for warranty repair.

Greetings. I've been busy for a few months to further investigate this but now I have some time. Looking at that link above, it seems I need a ASC which for M-Audio products costs $14.95. I'm not willing to waste anymore money on these crappy speakers that died within a year. Thinking about it more, I'm highly considering taking the loss and throwing away the $150 useless paperweights and finding an alternate brand of studio monitors.

As such I'll never recommend M-Audio products to anyone else, ever.

If you are up to fixing it yourself, they are fairly easy to open up and have a look. I've just had to replace several 'blown' capacitors in mine.

Unfortunately I have no experience or ability to replace caps or anything like that.