Axiom25 with Roland Gr20 - no output though GR20 definitely works with guitar

Thread: Axiom25 with Roland Gr20 - no output though GR20 definitely works with guitar

Default Axiom25 with Roland Gr20 - no output though GR20 definitely works with guitar

So, I use the Roland GR20 guitar synth with my midi guitar with no problems. However, I wanted to use my keyboard also with this unit at home for practice and composition.

I have checked the midi channel on the GR20 and the keyboard zones and they are the same. We have used the GR20 with another keyboard and it's fine.

I downloaded a utility that checked the midi output of a device and it appears to show midi messages coming out of the keyboard. So I'm stumped. Anyone out there have any suggestions? I know using this GR20 module with a keyboard misses some of the point, but i know the unit now and I find it easier to compose on keyboards.

If there's a better place for this to be posted, please let me know.

I have the Axiom25 powered through a power adaptor and NOT USB.

Many thanks....

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

Make sure that MIDI Out from USB mode is NOT enabled, this would prevent the Axiom from triggering the GR20 (the Axiom always sends MIDI over USB to the computer).

Problems with Axiom MIDI Out / MIDI Out from USB Function

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Make sure that MIDI Out from USB mode is NOT enabled, this would prevent the Axiom from triggering the GR20 (the Axiom always sends MIDI over USB to the computer).

Problems with Axiom MIDI Out / MIDI Out from USB Function
    Hi Jared

Many thanks for replying. The issue here is that the Axiom 25 is not connected to the PC. I am powering the Axiom25 using a 12v power adaptor and the only other cable is a MIDI cable plugged into the MIDI OUT socket on the Axiom25. This MIDI cable then goes into the MIDI IN on the GR20.

The GR20 is connected to an amp, (I have proved that the GR20 works by plugging a guitar into the GR20 and getting synth sounds via that method).

Kind Regards

David

Might be a double post, but just wanted to confirm that I do not have the USB cable plugged into the Axiom25. I am powering it through an external 12v power supply.

The only cable in the Axiom25 is the MIDI cable connecting it to the GR20. I have checked to ensure that it is connected to the MIDI OUT on the Axiom25 and the MIDI IN on the GR20.

Many thanks for your ongoing assistance :-)

Did you check the MIDI out from USB setting? This setting can be enabled regardless of how you're using the keyboard, and short of a bad MIDI cable or bad keyboard, is really the only setting that could prevent this from working.

I'll double check this. I've swapped out the MIDI cable a couple of times but will do this again too just to be sure. Everything else about the keyboard seems to be in working order, and as I said, when I've analysed the data coming out of the Axiom it appears that its sending stuff. If the MIDI out from USB doesn't make a difference, I'll get some screen shots of the MIDI data.

Many thanks again Jared

Hi

Just as an update, we tried a different keyboard with my NanoSynth hardware synth tonight and it worked fine. We then just took the MIDI cable out of that keyboard and put it into my Axiom25 and nothing happened. We ensured that the USB MIDI setting was correct but still nothing.

I would normally think therefore that the keyboard is broken, but given that I have proved that it is outputting MIDI data which also changes when I alter things like the Zone MIDI channel, what's next? Could there be settings in there to do with a Global MIDI channel or even the LSB or MSB settings, (which I don't think I've touched), that could be wrong?

I'm very keen not to write the keyboard off due to this latter point of seeing the MIDI data being captured, but not sure where to look next to diagnose this issue.

Regards

You've only been able to test that it outputs MIDI over USB right? In all the rest of your testing, it does not appear to output data from the 5pin MIDI port right? You can reset the keyboard by holding + and - while powering it on to see if that changes anything.

It sounds like the Axiom may be malfunctioning.

I've reset a couple of times and that's not made any difference. I've only ever seen the MIDI data on the computer using the USB lead, so yes, there is a chance that the 5 PIN port has somehow malfunctioned.

I guess the way to find out is to connect the Axiom to the PC through USB and use a VST to generate sound in a DAW. That would at least prove that the MIDI is workable in terms of recording etc. Then as you say, it could be that the MIDI out port is busted.

Right, I think we have an answer. I have hooked the Axiom25 up to Reaper, added a new MIDI track and assigned a VSTi synth to the track. With a little playing around, I now have sound coming out. So it would seem that it is indeed the MIDI OUT 5 pin port that's broken. Not sure how easy this is to get fixed, but I'll see if it matters now I know I can use soft synths with it.

Many thanks for your help Jared. I think this one can now be closed?