Fast Track C400 - Panning Issues - Please Help

Thread: Fast Track C400 - Panning Issues - Please Help

Default Fast Track C400 - Panning Issues - Please Help

Hi, I have what I am hoping is a simple issue.
    I have a Fast Track C400.
    The panning function has stopped working when I am listening to both recorded audio and midi on Ableton Live. I'm quite sure it is an issue with the USB device because when I use Ableton without the Fast Track the panning works.
    I have been recording music though panned channels for a number of months with this USB device and there was never an issue, then one day recently it just stopped working.

So - when the track is panned all the way to the right (using Ableton controls) you can't hear anything. When it is panned all the way to the left, you can hear it both speakers/headphones, so it is not being panned at all.

I have tried to adjust the pan levels in the mixer but they do the same thing as the one's in Ableton.
    So if a track is panned all the way to the right in Ableton, it will come through the Fast Track mixer on the right channel, but if on that channel the nob is turned all the way to the right there is no sound. Turning it back left, will give sound but its in both speakers, so it works just like a volume nob, not panning.

On the other left channel (which of course registers the audio from any track panned left in Ableton) if the pan nob is turned all the way to the left, sound comes through both speakers, but the more you turn it right, the quieter it gets, as if it too is working like a volume nob, not a pan nob. So here too there is no panning.

Does anyone have any ideas?

This was all working perfectly fine for a number of months since I first began using the the C400 and then suddenly this problem. It's baffling me!!

Any help would be hugely appreciated

Matt

I have attached an image of the mixer and the levels I'm using for the C400
    C400 Mixer - Panning not working.jpg

the photo looks correct. I dont use Ableton but is the master output or equivalent setup properly with both of the FTP's inputs selected
    CLICK HERE USB FAQ
    CLICK HERE BEFORE POSTING Help us help you. Post system specs and detailed information
    CLICK HERE to Contact Technical Support - Technical Help, Registration/Licensing Issues, Repairs

CLICK HERE for
    M-Audio Knowledge Base - FAQs, guides, and tutorials

Admins/Moderators will not respond to private requests for technical assistance.
    I'm not M-Audio tech support. I'm a user just like you and I'll try to help. If you solve a problem please post what worked for you.

Hey there,
    What do you mean by ''both of FTP's inputs selected"? FTP means FastTrackPro? How do you select the inputs?
    In Ableton's input configuration, I have - 1 (mono) and 2 (mono) and 1/2 (stereo) selected and the same for the output configuration. I recorded the audio tracks through the 1 mono setting. This was all the same a week ago when it was working perfectly..

I changed the master out in Ableton's master channel to 1 instead of 1/2 and this meant that the audio track panned far right made sound, however this was through both speakers which is the same as what the left panned track is also doing.
    Also, when Ableton's master out was set to 1/2 a signal came through both the left and right channels on FastTrack's mixer. However when it is set to 1, sound only comes through the left one. And in this setting, when the left nob is moved back, clockwise, it just reduces the volume of both tracks.

Either way, there is still no panning, changing the master out's setting simply means a track panned far right produced audio.. but unpanned audio

btw thanks for your reply Sidecut. I hope I didn't come across as rude or anything??

Could this be a driver issue? ..maybe if the driver is out of date it's not communicating with my DAW properly?

Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be going on?

Double check the softwrae configuration guide for your DAW in the USB FAQ link below.
    Most likely the output from your DAW should be set to 1/2.

Are you panning in your DAW?
    CLICK HERE USB FAQ
    CLICK HERE BEFORE POSTING Help us help you. Post system specs and detailed information
    CLICK HERE to Contact Technical Support - Technical Help, Registration/Licensing Issues, Repairs

CLICK HERE for
    M-Audio Knowledge Base - FAQs, guides, and tutorials

Admins/Moderators will not respond to private requests for technical assistance.
    I'm not M-Audio tech support. I'm a user just like you and I'll try to help. If you solve a problem please post what worked for you.

Hey there, yep, I'm panning in the DAW. I've also tried different settings on the panning nobs on the FT mixer.

I've read the software configuration guide for ableton a few times through.. was all pretty straight forward. I'm using mono inputs, for things like guitar and voice. So the setting in the DAW are mono inputs.
    The output from the DAW was set at 1/2. I've tried changing this too.. but this didn't get anything to pan.

not sure if all this information makes sense or is that relevent.. but I thought I'd include it if it sparks up any ideas...

When the track is panned all the way to the right in the DAW...
    and the ext. out is set to master, and the master out is set to 1 mono.. signal and audio come through, but it does not pan. However if ext. out is set to master, but master out is set to 1/2, there is no sound at all.
    When the ext. out is set to 1 mono, the master can be set to 1/2 or 1 and signal and audio come through, but not panned.

So basically if the master is set to 1 and the ext. out is set to 1 or master, as well, signal and audio only comes through the left channel on the software returns on FT's mixer.
    However if master is set to 1/2 and ext. out is set to 1/2 or master, signal only comes through the right channel on FT's mixer, but no audio comes out unless the nob on FT's mixer is turned back, so that two signals come through on that right channel.

Any ideas?

surely it must be more straightforward than I'm making it out to be! haha.. anyway, thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by epi View Post
    Hey there, yep, I'm panning in the DAW. I've also tried different settings on the panning nobs on the FT mixer.

I've read the software configuration guide for ableton a few times through.. was all pretty straight forward. I'm using mono inputs, for things like guitar and voice. So the setting in the DAW are mono inputs.
    The output from the DAW was set at 1/2. I've tried changing this too.. but this didn't get anything to pan.

not sure if all this information makes sense or is that relevent.. but I thought I'd include it if it sparks up any ideas...

When the track is panned all the way to the right in the DAW...
    and the ext. out is set to master, and the master out is set to 1 mono.. signal and audio come through, but it does not pan. However if ext. out is set to master, but master out is set to 1/2, there is no sound at all.
    When the ext. out is set to 1 mono, the master can be set to 1/2 or 1 and signal and audio come through, but not panned.

So basically if the master is set to 1 and the ext. out is set to 1 or master, as well, signal and audio only comes through the left channel on the software returns on FT's mixer.
    However if master is set to 1/2 and ext. out is set to 1/2 or master, signal only comes through the right channel on FT's mixer, but no audio comes out unless the nob on FT's mixer is turned back, so that two signals come through on that right channel.

Any ideas?

surely it must be more straightforward than I'm making it out to be! haha.. anyway, thanks again
    I have the exact same problem, can't pan in either the audio software provided. (eg. drivers) or in Ableton Live..
    Really bugs me out this.
    I can only pan 1 monitor in the software, the left one. When i pan the right one i can't hear anything. In Ableton panning doesn't work at all.

pretty annoying huh!.. getting sort of tired of always recording in mono. The wall of sound can be nice, but not all the time.

The only thing I can think of is that Ableton is not routing into the sound card properly. I don't know how to change this (or how it managed to get messed up in the first place). So the last hope at this stage is deleting the m-audio drivers and re-installing the device... will also look to see if there are any more up to date drivers. (I heard that when windows updates automatically, the new updates can mess with certain drivers you have installed.)
    So I'm gonna try that at some point.praying to the audio gods.

Let us know if you find any solutions!