iPad controller for Venom using mididesigner - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPad controller for Venom using mididesigner

Overall, the controller works really well for my purposes. Of course, you don't get to see what all the settings are for a particular patch that you may select on Venom. This just sends MIDI values and does not report them back or anything. So, I use it to tweak specific settings in the presets (like the pre-filter boost, or LFO shape or destinations, to tweak distortion or auto-wah or whatever). I also use it to build new sounds from an "everything except one oscillator off" preset I created. The nice thing is the app lets you dial up a bunch of values and then save the values of all controllers as a snapshot, the restore those values and send them all to the Venom later. This is almost like a separate patch creator. I can save and send any combinations of controller states to my Venom in one shot (including default values).

What I look forward to, when time allows, is setting up pages with fun combinations of parameters on X/Y pads, creating a kind of Kaoss pad interface for the Venom. I also plan to create sub-pages that have narrowed-down selections of most-often-used controls for convenient performance control. Any questions, let me know. Also, I am happy to share the configuration file, though I'd like to get credit or at least be kept in the loop if you use it or modify it to create better controllers. My hope would be that through some collaborative effort, a truly deep and comprehensive interface could be created by a collective effort... something better than I could do on my own.

Nice work. Have to say it works much more consistently than my Lemur template. I think maybe part of that is Midi Designer has an easier method for sending NRPN and SYS EX messages than the Lemur app, which requires scripting. I find with my template it seems almost random whether it works or not... it also won't allow you to change individual sounds within a Multi... which yours does. This is really important for my workflow as i've been setting up generic 4xmulti templates in Vyzex that can be molded into performance presets later without the laptop.
    My ultimate goal with mine is to setup alternative controls (something Lemur is good for with scripting) so going even beyond the Kaos Pad model to using string models / bouncing balls and physics. At this stage though i'd like a template that works and yours does! Well done!
    I heartily recommend this to any iPad owners who have shelved their Venom in frustration. Well worth the $19 I spent on the iPad software.
    Suggestions:
    Can I ask that you finish the OSC Buttons for OSC 2 + 3 setup and finish the mod routing please!
    As for more X/Y things... I reckon the filters and fx could use them... Also if you could setup some of the modulators maybe with alternate routings? Not sure if that is possible?
    Final thing possibly off topic: Is there a way to name and save patches, copy and delete them without using the Vyzex editor?

Ooof.... been a busy week.

Anyway, yes I plan to finish the button programs. I am AMAZED that my controller works well, not to mention as well as or better than anything else. I have to say I really think this attests to MIDIDESIGNER and their tech support, because honestly I had zero experience when I started. Didn't know the difference between a MIDI CC, SYSEX, NRPN, etc.. (still don't, exactly, but I am getting there).

I am planning to finish up the editor for sure - in the next couple of weeks I plan to add buttons for the other oscillators, finish the mod routing and begin seeing what else I can do. If you PM me, I will gladly send you an updated configuration file whenever I get there.

There are some more interesting and subtle aspects of mididesigner I haven't tapped into yet - supercontrollers and button groups for example. I think the idea of these is that one controller can adjust the behavior of groups of other controllers. I really have only wrapped my head around "this dial sends this set of values using this message and displays the following range of numbers when you turn it". I think I have a lot to learn.

I think configuring some creative X/Y pads would really be interesting. I guess the axes can be related in any random way so they could be used to tweak the mod matrix effects as well as just having some aspects of one effect connected to some aspect of another. Seems like the options are limitless.

The biggest problen with this kind of editor is that when you switch patches on the synth, the editor no longer knows the state of everything and all of its controls are out of sync.

We need a new simple sysex command or two or three in the firmware ...

Request current single patch dump in cc/nrpn format (so it will automatically reflect in any editor)
    Request current multi patch dump in cc/nrpn format
    Request single current parameter value of a single or multi patch in cc/nrpn format.

So when we send this request, the synth cycles through every cc/nprn parameter and instead of building a sysex reply, sends each value in cc or nrpn format. Simple generic midi controllers are able to respond to this format, though they can't make sense of a dump in sysex format and parse it.

With these commands, especially the first two, any dumb midi controller software that can add one sysex button can get instantly synced with the synth's current state, making it far more useful and making us less dependent on a non-responsive vyzex company/person.

We can then make our own editors.

Quote Originally Posted by mike43202 View Post
    The biggest problen with this kind of editor is that when you switch patches on the synth, the editor no longer knows the state of everything and all of its controls are out of sync.

We need a new simple sysex command or two or three in the firmware ...

Request current single patch dump in cc/nrpn format (so it will automatically reflect in any editor)
    Request current multi patch dump in cc/nrpn format
    Request single current parameter value of a single or multi patch in cc/nrpn format.

So when we send this request, the synth cycles through every cc/nprn parameter and instead of building a sysex reply, sends each value in cc or nrpn format. Simple generic midi controllers are able to respond to this format, though they can't make sense of a dump in sysex format and parse it.

With these commands, especially the first two, any dumb midi controller software that can add one sysex button can get instantly synced with the synth's current state, making it far more useful and making us less dependent on a non-responsive vyzex company/person.

We can then make our own editors.
    Exactly! +100! Perhaps we should make a new thread for this... a petition?

Beatsurfing looks like an interesting alternative to standard midi controller emulations. Thinking about getting this.