C400 - Vs - Fast Track Ultra - Which should I get?

Thread: C400 - Vs - Fast Track Ultra - Which should I get?

Default C400 - Vs - Fast Track Ultra - Which should I get?

Hi there. This will be my first audio interface purchase and I wanted to make the right choice so was looking for a little bit of advice. I've narrowed it down to either the Fast Track C400 or Fast Track Ultra and wanted your opinions of which is the better interface.

On the surface of it, the Ultra looks better value for money, being a 8x8 as opposed to the C400's 4x6. However I only ever really record instruments one at a time and monitor/mix on one set of speakers currently, so the C400 would comfortably do what I need it to.

The only thing that is swaying me towards the Ultra is that my brother currently uses one, and has done for the last couple of years and absolutely swears by it. He thinks I would be crazy going for the C400 when the Ultra can be bought for around the same price because according to him it looks inferior. I have however seen a few people with the general opinion that the C400 performs better than the ultra and gives better quality overall.

So does anyone have any thoughts? Perhaps anyone with experience of both, or just anyone with an opinion? Thanks very much.

Take away the I/O and the main difference is design. The C400 came about as the result of a lot of research on how people use these devices in their home studios. So from an ergonomic/design standpoint they are very different. The software mixer is also different in how it looks with the C 400 mixer looking very similar to the new M-Box line.
    CLICK HERE USB FAQ
    CLICK HERE BEFORE POSTING Help us help you. Post system specs and detailed information
    CLICK HERE to Contact Technical Support - Technical Help, Registration/Licensing Issues, Repairs

CLICK HERE for
    M-Audio Knowledge Base - FAQs, guides, and tutorials

Admins/Moderators will not respond to private requests for technical assistance.
    I'm not M-Audio tech support. I'm a user just like you and I'll try to help. If you solve a problem please post what worked for you.

if you're going to use a macbook air dont get the c400.. after it wakes up from sleep the soundcard stops working.

None of the interfaces support sleep mode.
    CLICK HERE USB FAQ
    CLICK HERE BEFORE POSTING Help us help you. Post system specs and detailed information
    CLICK HERE to Contact Technical Support - Technical Help, Registration/Licensing Issues, Repairs

CLICK HERE for
    M-Audio Knowledge Base - FAQs, guides, and tutorials

Admins/Moderators will not respond to private requests for technical assistance.
    I'm not M-Audio tech support. I'm a user just like you and I'll try to help. If you solve a problem please post what worked for you.