Dead Microtrack II ? RESOLVED

Thread: Dead Microtrack II ? RESOLVED

Default Dead Microtrack II ? RESOLVED

Hi,

I only used my one month old Microtrack II twice. Each time for not more than 5 minutes. I tried and power it on today and it did not work. I plugged in the usb cable, thinking that it might be low battery, but there was no sign of charging nor powering up. The screen remained blank.

I have followed the instructions of switching the "Hold" switch to off and tried both charging through a usb port on my laptop and also via the power plug. I have left it connected for more than an hour already, and still the screen remained blank and refuse to power up. Also, the computer did not detect the device connected.

Anybody with solutions?

Thank you very much.

(I have checked the power output of my usb port - it is working fine. I have also checked the cable itself - it is also working fine... )
    Last edited by peekolo; 11-28-2008 at 10:11 PM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Compaq Presario V3414AU
    Windows Vista SP1 / Windows XP SP2
    AMD Turion 64 X 2 1.80GHz
    1 GB RAM
    Microtrack II

Hi,

Solved. At least so far it seems to be working.

I did the hard reset (Power + Del for a few seconds) before plugging the usb in again. It is resurrected now.

No idea what happened though. Will be grateful if anyone can point out to me the probable cause and what to do to avoid this issue again.

Thank you very much!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Compaq Presario V3414AU
    Windows Vista SP1 / Windows XP SP2
    AMD Turion 64 X 2 1.80GHz
    1 GB RAM
    Microtrack II

Default me too

I had the exact same thing happen to me today. I've been using my MT2 for o9 months now without any problems. Then today, before going to a gig, I tested the media card on the MT2 (which tested fine) then powered it off. When I got to the event the MT2 would not come on at all, no matter what I did. When I came home cussing I read the bit about recharging for at least 20 minutes (in case it accidentally got powered on in transit). I did the charge but nothing, no connection to my Mac either. After searching the internet for an hour I came to this forum (where I should have come to begin with) and found this post. I held the power + delete button for 5-10 seconds, then released and plugged the USB charger in. SHAZAM! The MT2 rose from the ashes like the Phoenix! God bless. I tried to reproduce the "dead MT2" behavior by repeating the card test and powering down, but wasn't able to. As long as it comes back to life each time, and doesn't start happening all the time, I'm fine. Nevertheless this is a pretty serious bug and without peekolo I'd be SOL. Well done and thank you for posting!!
    Last edited by vjtk; 04-17-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Default Thank you so much!

I was searching for so long on how to fix this exact problem. Power + Del button = best news of the day!
    I had just purchased the Microtrack II device about three months ago and it suddenly died on me about a week ago. I was so mad and didn't know what to do. Other than this problem though I absolutly love this product!

I had to use this method to resurrect my Microtrack II today, after I bought a brand new SanDisk Extreme 16 GB Compact Flash Card.

I put the new card into the Microtrack when it was turned off and unpowered from AC. The screen remained blank when I pressed the Power button. Switching back to my old Lexar 4 GB CF card, it was still dead. Only when I unplugged the Microtrack from the AC adaptor AND held the Power Button/Delete Button for 10 seconds WITH the Lexar card in it, would it come back to life.

It definitely does not like the SanDisk Extreme card, even though (as has been stated elsewhere in this forum) it is supposed to have been tested with 16 GB cards. I can get it to work with the Lexar card, but as it is a slower card (80x or 12 MB/sec) it will sometimes stop recording WAV files at 96 kHz. SR. It seems to work okay at 44.1, but I bought the faster card to enable me to work at higher sample rates - a $200 mistake! (The SanDisk Extreme Card is one of their newer series - 60 MB/s or 400x).

It would appear, more than ever, that issues with CF cards can cause all manner of problems with the Microtrack recorder.
    Frank Lockwood - Lockwood ARS
    Specialized Recording Services
    for Classical and Acoustic Music
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I was able to exchange my SanDisk Extreme CF card - which is a UDMA card - with an older Extreme III card - not UDMA. This works just fine with the Microtrack, and causes none of the startup freezes I was experiencing with the newer card.

I can't be certain that there is an incompatibility between the Microtrack and cards that are UDMA, but it does seem like a strong possibility.
    Frank Lockwood - Lockwood ARS
    Specialized Recording Services
    for Classical and Acoustic Music
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada