Fast track USB, no guitar signal

Thread: Fast track USB, no guitar signal

Default Fast track USB, no guitar signal

Hey, i just bought the Fast track usb, and i have installed it and it shows in the properties that it is connected and i can hear out of my headphones that are connected to the headphone port, but my guitar is plugged in and i am getting no sound from it, i have re-installed several times and used the drivers from the m-audio website, but still no luck. in my Sound and Audio devices properties the fast track is selected for both sound playback and sound recording. i have windows xp SP2, intel 2.33ghz processor, 2gb ram. i have also tried several cables for my guitar to no avail. the mic inpu and mix input are turned all the way up and my guiatr volume is also up. i assume the 'signal' LED should be on if i am getting a signal from the guitar, but it is not.

make sure that the line/inst button is in the right position

put the mix knob to 12 oclock

the signal light will come on and off as input is received
    CLICK HERE USB FAQ
    CLICK HERE BEFORE POSTING Help us help you. Post system specs and detailed information
    CLICK HERE to Contact Technical Support - Technical Help, Registration/Licensing Issues, Repairs

CLICK HERE for
    M-Audio Knowledge Base - FAQs, guides, and tutorials

Admins/Moderators will not respond to private requests for technical assistance.
    I'm not M-Audio tech support. I'm a user just like you and I'll try to help. If you solve a problem please post what worked for you.

the input level control and the input LED are both for the Mic input not the guitar input. What recording software are you using? The guitar input is input 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    the input level control and the input LED are both for the Mic input not the guitar input. What recording software are you using? The guitar input is input 2.
    im not trying to record yet, im using amplitube 2 to try to model my sound, but shouldnt i theoretically be able to hear the instrument when it is plugged in even when im not trying to record? or is this a stupid question. when in amplitube i have the input audio interface as the fast track, and the output audio interface as fast track also, with my headphones plugged in. but i get no sound from my guitar.

What input do you have selected in Amplitube? It should be input 2. Most software will default to input 1.

If you want to hear the clean signal of your guitar before it gets processed by the software, turn the Mix knob to the left (input) push the stereo/mono button in and make sure the guitar/line button on the back of the Fast Track is NOT pushed in. Plug your headphones into the Fast Track and turn up the Output knob.

hi, im repo:

Following this same thread, once you got the settings like you said:
    If you want to hear the clean signal of your guitar before it gets processed by the software, turn the Mix knob to the left (input) push the stereo/mono button in and make sure the guitar/line button on the back of the Fast Track is NOT pushed in. Plug your headphones into the Fast Track and turn up the Output knob.
    Is it supposed to sound loud or just a small signal, cause in every software that Im using the signal input level are very low for "Input 2", but for "Input 1" is ok, cause I can hear it loud, is this normal? Or is it damaged?, btw I bought it yesterday...

And if not; What can I do to hear it louder and clean? Is there a special software, amp, preamp?, BTW i work in a MacBook , Im using the farthest USB port to the screen and GarageBand's inputs, outs and everyhing is all to the max...

any help will be greatly appreciated...

The gain for the instrument input on the Fast Track is set and so to prevent high output guitars from clipping the gain is not set to high. If the output on the guitar is turned up all of the way, and you still need more gain, try using a DI box so that you can plug your guitar into the mic input.

What input do you have selected in Amplitube? It should be input 2. Most software will default to input 1.

I'm having the exact same problem, but when I plug my guitar in, NO sound comes through the headphones...

I've tried stereo/mono, the input level on the back, and tried two different guitars. I know it's not the cable for two reasons: 1) it works fine with my amp, and 2) when I leave it plugged into the interface, unplug from my guitar, and tap it, I can hear buzzing. I've also tried to volume controls on my guitar and the output knob on the interface itself.

What else could I be missing?
    Last edited by akjordan; 08-22-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Forgot Quote