Arrival date of Axiom Pro 49?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arrival date of Axiom Pro 49??

Well, apparently the update for my original Axiom requires a new keyboard? I thought this should have been possible with firmware and OSX/XP drivers. Can someone tell me why some version of "HyperControl" hasn't been added to the original Axiom, I mean come on no updates for a year? This is a slap in the face to loyal customers. As much as I want a FW 610, I'm seeing which companies update their drivers and actually improve their products after they ship. The original Axiom had enough short comings to warrant another product, I'll give them that, but the firmware/software running this whole "HyperControl" can and will be added to the Axiom 25 either by users or M-Audio. This will definitely be the last straw for me, if some novice user releases "HyperControl" for the original Axiom. I'm so tired of defending M-Audio. How about a technical explanation of why this isn't possible? I would kill for the features of the "pro" but technically I already bought it and should have been enjoying these features 2 years ago. I mean most of this is possible with tweaks in Enigma right? They should at least throw us a bone.

Thumbs up

Dude....are you smoking crack?! The Axiom Pro has not even hit the streets in the U.S.,& you want an update that emulates "HyperControl" functionality in the old Axiom series?!!

Assuming that this is even possible to pull off with the old Axiom series,what makes you think M-Audio would put any of the new technology into the old Axiom series....so that M-Audio & the music retailers can lose their ass in sales with the new Axiom Pro series?!!
    The old Axiom series is half the price of the new...just be happy with that & stop whining.

Here's an idea for you...why don't you ask M-Audio to lease out their products to you with an option to buy....then when something better comes along,you can trade in your old product for the new one that you want.

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

HyperControl is both a feature of the hardware and software. It is not possible to implement HyperControl with the original Axiom's; . The Axiom Pro has completely different hardware inside; there is a good reason they cost almost twice as much. The Axiom Pro also features a new keybed with improved feel and dynamic response; the feel of the knobs/sliders has also been improved.

Quote Originally Posted by JA View Post
    HyperControl is both a feature of the hardware and software. It is not possible to implement HyperControl with the original Axiom's; . The Axiom Pro has completely different hardware inside; there is a good reason they cost almost twice as much. The Axiom Pro also features a new keybed with improved feel and dynamic response; the feel of the knobs/sliders has also been improved.
    This is where you lose me. It's obvious the insides are different. What are the "good reasons" ? I just find it hard to believe the firmware/hardware in the Axiom Pro can't be adapted into an application for OSX/XP, that works w/ the original Axiom to supplement the superior hardware in the Axiom Pro keyboards. There's probably a user on this forum right now that could do this. The techs at M-Audio have to be able to at least get a beta out now. We all have fast computers here, I'd like to put mine to use. I know I have the headroom for an app like this to run in the background w/ say... a little window that could even emulate the display of the"LCD" on the "Pro" keyboard since the screens are different on the original Axiom. I'm sure we all have enough space on our screens to show this info in a corner. Some things can't be emulated I understand that, but there is definitely enough here to warrant the original Axiom buyers getting some new support. Your telling me the original can't handle ANY of these features. Can anyone elaborate on this? I'm not convinced that they can't do this, so I can't support them and I'm holding off on my new purchases until they support this claim. I'm not cheap I would buy the Axiom Pro if I didn't already have Axiom's, but if they must make money off of everything. How about selling the "Supplement App" for the difference so new users would buy the Axiom Pro and older users can just get the upgrade either way we pay the same for comparable functionality. Of coarse this is highly more likely, this is a business. I'd buy an upgrade for my keyboards but completely replace, seems like an unjustifiable cost?
    Last edited by Eforeffort; 03-06-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Just made it home!
    Here's what I came up with on the ride home. To the C++ or JAVA programmers out there think classes. ProTools needs to define a list of "classes" required for "Hypercontrol".The "Supplement App" would see an Axiom Pro as having hardware versions of all classes required and just bypass, but if it's an original Axiom.. it interprets the Axiom's current features into classes and initiates software implementations of missing "HyperControl" requirements. The software emulate versions are passed to the "ProTools HyperControl Requirements" stack which would use an "either/or" approach at HW vs. SW features depending on whether an Axiom or Axiom Pro is connected. As far as latency goes... The program should have a dedicated "on/off" button (maybe "#1" on the 49-key) for sw emulation. This would be desirable when your actually using the Axiom for input (ie. piano playing) you can disable the latency that may be cause by the app running. I doubt this though, as it doesn't appear that an app like this would create much additional latency. There's always the option of a "zero-latency" version of HyperControl and a "low-latency" version. They could "tile window" ProTools and the "Supplement App" at the bottom portion of the screen (on computer) to replace the better screen on the Axiom Pro, most people w/ these Axioms keyboards have it right under the 32"+ screen so the "Supplement app would run along the bottom maybe an inch or two. Can some one elaborate why this IS or IS NOT possible? Sorry for posting consecutively just wanted to be more specific about what I meant by a "Supplement App".

Quote Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
    The software Channel Volume Faders are mirrored on the Axiom Pro LCD. The Axiom Pro Sliders (Flip Faders Off) do not mirror this and could need updating to the relative LCD position. Is this what you are seeing Steve or is this truely a latency issue?
    filosofem

Bit of an update on this now that I have been playing with the device for a while.

1/ When say going to Logic v8 mixer the faders /onscreen and even the volume do not respond instantaniously to the Axiom Pro fader movements.
    When I slide the fader nothing happens (even though the fader is showing in the LCD). However if I "wake" the link up by either moving a fader right to the top and back again they then "wake up" and all then works just fine quite weird. I can also do something else like press the mode button a couple of times etc.. Basically anything to "wake up the link". Again once "awake" all is great.

2/ I find the little LCD a bit annoying
    a/ It is flat on the keyboard and with my keyboard on the desk where it is with the MAC keyboard and mouse in front (closest to me) I find it hard to see the bottom line of the LCD (which is the menu indcators etc). Shame M-audio didn't invest just a little more on it and have a screen that can pop up on an angle if requirefd to make visibility better.
    b/ Some Logic Tools have up to 47 screens (for example I think Logics Sculpture Tool has over 40) .. Now having so many is really annoying if especially when you have to hunt for the feature. Wish there was away around this or an option to jump to one page to another - afterall there is a numeric keypad to help that!!

S.
    Steve
    Composer
    Wellington, New Zealand

-------------------------------------------------
    Hardware: IMAC 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4Gb RAM, 300 Gb Internal HDD, 1 TB External (Firewire) HDD, 1TB & 500Gb External (USB) HDD, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Keyboard, Motu Traveler Mk3 Audio device, MBox2 Mini, KRK Rokit6 monitors, various mics.
    Software: Mac OSX 10.6.x, Logic Studio v9, Sibelius v6, Protool LE v8.x, various software synths and sampled instruments

I have a similar setup Steve but I have the front of the Axiom Pro resting on the back of another keyboard with the back of the Axiom Pro raised so I can see the LCD with a Digi Qwerty keyboard and Logitech trackball in front of the Axiom Pro.

I wonder if the latest driver update will help Steve? See M-Audio home page 'Drivers/Updates'.

Regards.

filosofem

Hi! This is my first post. Just got my Axiom Pro 49 from JB Music (Philippines). The units were released only this week so I was among the first one to get a unit. Also, bought Quik Lok T-20 keyboard stand and Gator GBK-49 keyboard bag. I will use my Axiom Pro with my MacBook Aluminum Unibody 2.4GHz and JBL Professional Control 2P studio monitor speakers. Will tinker and play my new toy tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by pelican77777; 04-07-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Make/Model: MacBook Pro (2010)
    Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6.3
    Processor: Intel Core i7, 2.66 GHz
    RAM: 4G DDR3
    M-Audio Devices & Driver Versions: Axiom Pro 49, BX-8's, DX-4's, and a BX-10S

Quote Originally Posted by kiwicomposer View Post
    Bit of an update on this now that I have been playing with the device for a while.

1/ When say going to Logic v8 mixer the faders /onscreen and even the volume do not respond instantaniously to the Axiom Pro fader movements.
    When I slide the fader nothing happens (even though the fader is showing in the LCD). However if I "wake" the link up by either moving a fader right to the top and back again they then "wake up" and all then works just fine quite weird. I can also do something else like press the mode button a couple of times etc.. Basically anything to "wake up the link". Again once "awake" all is great.

2/ I find the little LCD a bit annoying
    a/ It is flat on the keyboard and with my keyboard on the desk where it is with the MAC keyboard and mouse in front (closest to me) I find it hard to see the bottom line of the LCD (which is the menu indcators etc). Shame M-audio didn't invest just a little more on it and have a screen that can pop up on an angle if requirefd to make visibility better.
    b/ Some Logic Tools have up to 47 screens (for example I think Logics Sculpture Tool has over 40) .. Now having so many is really annoying if especially when you have to hunt for the feature. Wish there was away around this or an option to jump to one page to another - afterall there is a numeric keypad to help that!!

S.
    Your problem with the sliders sounds normal. The sliders "automute" when their position is different than their software counterparts. As soon as you move the slider to where the software slider is, it engages and works from there. This prevents the levels from jumping radically when you move a slider that isn't lined up with your software.

I have the same complaint about not being able to see the bottom of the LCD unless I'm way up above the keyboard. I'll probably just put something under the back of the keyboard to prop it up (assuming I don't mind playing it this way; dunno yet). Maybe I can try to find/make some sort of periscope to angle it (I'm never actually going to get around to this).

Overall the keyboard it really nice. The keys feel great -- better than I remember the old axiom 49 keys feeling, though I may not be remembering well. I like the new smooth knobs, too. They have their place, but the clicky knobs on the old one drove me nuts (maybe someday someone will design on knob that toggles between smooth and clicky, like push it down for clicky operation, pop it up for smooth). The overall quality of the keyboard is very nice.

The hypercontrol is decent. I'm using logic and I have a similar complaint about scrolling pages. It works great with plugins that have fewer controls, but when you get into something like sculpture (FORTY-TWO pages of controls), it isn't practical. The parameters don't seem to be in any well thought out order, either. By the time you find the parameter you want, you might as well have just used the mouse or hand-mapped a knob. Also, in something like sculpture, odds are that you would never have more than one relevant parameter on one screen for simultaneous playing. I saw that someone posted that there is an application for pro tools to rearrange the parameter order. Is this available for Logic? Will it be available at some point? It would be very useful. Or, instead of rearranging the parameters, maybe it could allow you to create your own pages of controls that are active while hypercontrol is. Some thoughtful updates would be nice. Any in the works?

Anyway, hypercontrol is still pretty cool. I've been having a lot of fun playing with it. For simpler plugins, its great. It took me a little while to get used to left column=top knobs, right column=bottom and I still turn the wrong knobs sometimes.

Oh, and does anyone know how to switch back into hypercontrol mode from the keyboard once you are out of it? If I load a patch, which disables hypercontrol, the only way I can figure out how to enable hypercontrol again is through the preferences in logic. I'm probably just missing something.

I'd love to hear other people's answers/insights/comments/questions.