Delta 66 - mircrophone issue

Thread: Delta 66 - mircrophone issue

Question Delta 66 - mircrophone issue

Hi Folks, I just got my Delta 66 and are really exited except I can't get audio from my mic into it. I bought a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to allow me to plug my 1/8 PC mic into one of the 1/4 slots.

However, I don't get any audio when I try audio record from Windows.

I can get audio going to my PC speakers using another 1/8 to 1/4 adapter.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Les

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

The Delta 66 only has line level inputs; you need a microphone preamp to bring a mic up to line level for recording. Also, do you know if your computer mic is an electret condenser? Some computer mics actually require 5v electret power (provided by the sound card when connected) to operate. The Delta 66 doesn't provide this and I don't know of any external preamps that do.

Thanks for the fast response!!

I don't think I am using an electret microphone so that is probably problem one.

Then it also sounds like I need to get another device (preamp) to get the level up so the Delta 66 can source the audio. I need 4 microphones going into the delta 66 at a time does this mean I need to get a preamp device which support for outputs or 4 devices? Any recommendations on a device like this would be great.

Thanks for the support.

Les

What microphones are you using? If you want to be able to record each microphone to a separate track you will need a preamp with 4 outputs. I'm not familiar with any 4 channel preamps, but some quick searching turned up this preamp; it's pretty inexpensive and has 1/4" or XLR inputs. It's got XLR outputs so you'd need 4 XLR(F) to 1/4" TRS cables to connect to the Delta card.

I'd suggest talking to your retailer to see what other options are available.

I purchased a preamp and new mics today and now have audio flowing into my PC via the M-audio card. I am really happy about that.

Now I have a problem with how the m-audio card registers the MIC input ports on Windows. It looks like they are registered as input 1/2 and input 2/3. I really need to get the audio from 1/2 split into my PC. At the moment whatever I send into 1/2 comes out the output 1/2 on my PC. Is there a way that I can change the configuration so that the M-audio card registers input 1, input 2, input 3 and input-4 individually so I can manipulated those 4 streams individually with an output 1, output 2, output 3 and output 4?

That is why I went with m-audio because it says 4 inputs but maybe I misunderstood.

Thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it.

Your application needs to support mono inputs; there are no settings you need to change on the Delta card; its drivers present the inputs to the application, and it's up to the application to offer you the choice of stereo and/or mono inputs/outputs. What software are you using the Delta card with?

At the moment I am just looking at the Window Sounds and Audio Devices and when I click on the Audio tab.

In Sound Recording drop down I see:

M-Audio Delta 66 1/2
    M-Audio Delta 66 3/4
    M-Audio Delta 66 Multi
    M-Audio Delta 66 S/PDIF
    M-Audio Delta 66 Mon Mixer

In Sound Playback drop down I see:

M-Audio Delta 66 1/2
    M-Audio Delta 66 3/4
    M-Audio Delta 66 Multi
    M-Audio Delta 66 S/PDIF

What I was expecting is seeing the 1/2 and 3/4 inputs and outputs broken out to:

M-Audio Delta 66 1
    M-Audio Delta 66 2
    M-Audio Delta 66 3
    M-Audio Delta 66 4

The software I am planning to use will use the audio device as it is registered with the Windows OS, so it is going to use 1/2 and 3/4 so I don’t see how this can be split into separate inputs and outputs but I may not have it configured correctly.

Thanks

Hi folks, any thoughts on this?

Thanks for thelp

This is a limitation of Windows; it's not going to be able to identify any audio device's mono inputs. I think the only way around this is to use an application that allows you to record mono tracks.