DJ Setup With Fast Track Pro

Thread: DJ Setup With Fast Track Pro

Default DJ Setup With Fast Track Pro

Sony Vaio VGN-FW290
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz
    250 GB / Ram 4 GB
    M-AudioFast Track Pro

Hello I'd appreciate any help related to how to setup my deejay equipment with Fast Track Pro. I have yet to download any drivers, install the software, or setup my Fast Track Pro as I'm still trying to figure out what cables I need and where to plug in/out for deejaying.

I mostly found information on this forum pertaining to virtual deejaying with software, but I would also like to setup my CDJs/Mixer so that I can record my mixes onto my laptop. Apologies in case I overlooked any other relevant threads.

So basically my computer specs are as mentioned above plus I have two Pioneer CDJ 200s, and one Pioneer DJM 400. Can I pull this off, and if so what cables will I need to achieve this connection?

Thanks in advance for your help!

D

Hey D,

This is very possible and you're close, but you still need something to record into (ie - a recording program). All you need to do is plug the output of your mixer into the front inputs of your fast track pro using 1/4" cables and now you have signal getting to the computer. (Keep in mind that you still need to properly install the fast track pro) However, now with the signal set up right, you have only converted the analog sound (turntables) into digital (music info that computer can understand). At this point, pick your recording software and set it up to receive signal from the fast track pro and press record. Hope some of this helps. Cheers

TechGique thank you!

My bad I forgot to mention I have Acid Pro, but I'm leaning towards Ableton Live in the near future when I have more money. Btw, is it even worth installing the Lite version of Ableton included with the Fast Track Pro, or is it the usual 'essential functions won't work until you upgrade' deal? I'm also debating on getting Ableton Live LE now to have something to work with in the meantime, and going for the full upgrade later when finances are in check. It all depends on the difference between the Lite version and LE version to get me started.

While on the subject of software... I noticed there is a lot of noise on this forum regarding compatibility with Vista. Truth is, I already have an ongoing list of reasons to uninstall Vista and revert back to using XP... Compatibility issues make up 70% of the reason why I plan on ditching Vista, and if Fast Track Pro falls in that category as well then its time to get the XP serials out. I hope Fast Track Pro and XP compatibility is smooth sailing? Of course I'm always open to any other recommendations to solve this problem.

Oh, almost forgot... so will this 1/4" cable will do the trick?
    http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/314/mycable.jpg

Cheers

The Vista 64 drivers for the Fast Track Pro are solid. You shouldn't have any problems. What version of Acid Pro are you running? Does it support Vista 64?

Ableton Live Lite has all of the features of Live, but it is limited to 4 tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    The Vista 64 drivers for the Fast Track Pro are solid. You shouldn't have any problems.
    Ohhhhh ok... After rereading the threads I realized people were talking about XP 64 not Vista 64 drivers. Thanks for clarifying Paul. So where I can find Vista 64 drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    What version of Acid Pro are you running? Does it support Vista 64?

Ableton Live Lite has all of the features of Live, but it is limited to 4 tracks.
    I think I'm running an older version of Acid Pro (5 or 6? i have to check), and it's holding up alright. However I'm still itching for a new recording software, especially something that I can deejay a live set with like Ableton. I guess the only compatibility question mark that remains is Ableton Live since it only officially supports 32-bit versions of Vista. I guess Ill test the waters first with the Lite version to see how glitchy it gets.

Also, will this 1/4" cable be sufficient for connecting from the rec out on my deejay mixer into the front inputs of the fast track pro?

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/314/mycable.jpg

Thanks

The cable should work.

Here is the link to the Vista 64 driver.

You the man Paul!

Many thanks for all the help everyone. I'm sure this won't be the last time, and hopefully I will have the skills to help others in the future.

Cheers

I'm glad I could help.