FireWire pops,noise,clicks while in DaisyChain.

Thread: FireWire pops,noise,clicks while in DaisyChain.

Exclamation FireWire pops,noise,clicks while in DaisyChain.

hi everyone!

i own a firewire solo and a lacieHD, while in daisy chain mode, i experienced some clicks,pops,noise, and i dont know if thats coming from my FwSolo or From Lacie, or because daisychained..

i downloaded the new driver, i even uninstall and installed it just to make sure.

is there something that i have to erase?or some kind of a maintenance??

thank you.
    TIM.

here are my specs:
    macbook 1.83ghz intel core duo 2gig RAM
    Lacie D2,320Gig
    the latest FireWire Driver.
    Protools M-powered 7.1.1cs2

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

Hey Tim. Which device is connected directly to the computer? The FW Solo or the LaCie? Do you have the AC adapter connected to the solo? Also, what exact version of OS X are you running?

We advise connected your M-Audio device to the computer and daisy chaining the hard drive. Additionally, the Solo is bus powered on Mac and you do NOT want to use the AC adapter; that can cause pops and clicks and other problems.

im running OSX Tiger 10.4.11
    yup, FwSolo is connnected to the comp, then i daisychain the Lacie on my Fwsolo. and i didnt use my ac adapter on that.

Jared is offline Tech Support, Community Mgr, Customer Advocate

Try disabling Bluetooth and Airport wireless to see if that has any effect on the problem. Also, from System Preferences>Energy Saver, make sure sleep mode is disabled, and un-check the box "put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible".

Do these pops and clicks only occur when recording in Pro Tools? Do you have any problems when playing audio from other applications such as iTunes?

I would also recommend repairing disk permissions. On your OS X system driver, go to the Applications>Utilities folder and double-click Disk Utility. Select your system boot volume on the left (the named driver), then click the First Aid tab on the right, and then click the button that says "Repair Disk Permissions".

ok, i'll do that too.

clicking and popping only happens in protools and when im recording audio and midi.. is it the buffer size? do i have to change it everytime i record audio and midi?

sleep mode and energy saver are both disabled. except bluetooth coz i use it for my keyboard and mouse.

Btw, if i upgrade to 7.4 --all the feautres from 7.3 are there too right?

thanks!

clicking and popping only happens in protools and when im recording audio and midi.. is it the buffer size? do i have to change it everytime i record audio and midi?
    It may be necessary to adjust your buffer settings from project to project and as you add more instruments, effects and tracks to a project. I highly recommend disabling Bluetooth and your wireless to see if that effects the popping and clicking as well.

if i upgrade to 7.4 --all the feautres from 7.3 are there too right?
    Yes. It is rare that features are removed and the release notes for any new version should outline the changes.

ok. i did disabled my bluetooth, so far clicking and popping yet. and my lacie hd is now connected thru my USB, and projectmix on my FW port. i did that to my FWsolo and it was ok. but, im still hoping that this fixes the problem.

when i do digital download on the 7.4, ilok should be connected right? when is the best time to download this? ilok is not available at this time.. or a DVD purchase is better than downloading.

when i do digital download on the 7.4, ilok should be connected right? when is the best time to download this? ilok is not available at this time.. or a DVD purchase is better than downloading.
    You do NOT need the iLok ot download and install the update. You will only need it to launch Pro Tools M-Powered.

The DVD is a matter of preference; the download is usually more convenient - just be sure to save it in case you need to uninstall/reinstall PTMP for troubleshooting in the future.